Discuss Toyota Hiace headlights in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
just received a pair of H4 COB LED lamps. work fine on main beam but not on dip. investigation shows that although the polarity is correct for main beam ( + to the right as you look at the plug, - to left ), when selecting dip, the polarity reverses so that I get + on the left pin and - on the top (dip) pin. obviously, this is OK for a filament lamp, but not for LED. any ideas anyone?

And I thought it was only Landrover that got up to this sort of electrical nonsense!

I think you could get over it with a relay behind each headlamp to switch the polarity on dip beam then switch it back on main.

Toyota Hiace headlights {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

from what i can tell, the LEDs want a common + and a switched -. the vehicle supplies a comm0n - and a switched +.

Pretty sure these won't pass an MOT anyway just like aftermarket HIDs don't*. Its probably worth just getting some good quality lamps like Phillips extreme visions

* i say don't, it depends how friendly/stupid your tester is

Pretty sure these won't pass an MOT anyway just like aftermarket HIDs don't*. Its probably worth just getting some good quality lamps like Phillips extreme visions

* i say don't, it depends how friendly/stupid your tester is

Aftermarket HIDs can pass an not if they meet the requirements. It's a while since I did if to my mates car but I think we just had to add a washer jet to each headlamp

Aftermarket HIDs can pass an not if they meet the requirements. It's a while since I did if to my mates car but I think we just had to add a washer jet to each headlamp

They have changed the goal posts (AGAIN). basically if the headlight wasn't designed for the light pattern from HIDs, it shouldn't pass. they also have to have self levellers although how the tester can test this i don't know. There isn't a way really so all they can do is go by the book. For instance, if you've got a 1990 Fiesta, its quite clear its not suitable for HIDs so instant fail!

from what i can tell, the LEDs want a common + and a switched -. the vehicle supplies a comm0n - and a switched +.
If that's the case, then they would be for a neg earth vehicle.
You could try swapping the left pin with the top pin?
It might be that when on high beam, the neg current is somehow passing through the plus side of the dip beam (left pin) to the neg (top pin), but when you switch to dip you just get reverse polarity.

Is it possible for you to check the outputs with a multimeter?

Last edited by a moderator:
They have changed the goal posts (AGAIN). basically if the headlight wasn't designed for the light pattern from HIDs, it shouldn't pass. they also have to have self levellers although how the tester can test this i don't know. There isn't a way really so all they can do is go by the book. For instance, if you've got a 1990 Fiesta, its quite clear its not suitable for HIDs so instant fail!
but if it has aftermarket headlamp holders it will pass.

for example a lotvof vehicles have had an engine swap so do they fail?

but if it has aftermarket headlamp holders it will pass.

for example a lotvof vehicles have had an engine swap so do they fail?

Wrong.
Engine changes are a whole different ball game. providing they pass an inspection to make sure the change is safe, thats fine. HIDs in a not HID head light usually scatters the light in a horrific way which really doesn't benefit the driver and creates horrendous glare for other road users.
You saying that is like saying its legal to fit a decat pipe to a modern petrol because companies make them. Wrong, just because they make them doesn't make it legal!

Reply to Toyota Hiace headlights in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock