Discuss Toyota Hiace headlights in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wrong.
Engine changes are a whole different ball game. providing they pass an inspection to make sure the change is safe, thats fine. HIDs in a not HID head light usually scatters the light in a horrific way which really doesn't benefit the driver and creates horrendous glare for other road users.
You saying that is like saying its legal to fit a decat pipe to a modern petrol because companies make them. Wrong, just because they make them doesn't make it legal!
what im saying is some companies make conversion kits that comply to the modern standards and are legal, there might well be hid kits that do.

it cannot be failed if it complies to the regulations

what im saying is some companies make conversion kits that comply to the modern standards and are legal, there might well be hid kits that do.

it cannot be failed if it complies to the regulations

With certain parts yes but I've never ever come across a conversion kit for HIDs that is legal. You can buy these HID kits on eBay which are just the lamp, ballast and loom but they aren't legal and will even say so normally on the box

from what i can tell, the LEDs want a common + and a switched -. the vehicle supplies a comm0n - and a switched +.

...Well,Tel,it's a load of fannying,and to be honest,getting alternative lamps,would be favourite...but it can be done...

If you get two standard Lucas type relays,5 pin,with N/O and N/C terminals,and four suitably rated diodes,it could be achieved.

One relay per headlight,sited at lamp,existing vehicle lamp feeds for Main and Dip,out and add a diode to each,which link and go to your new LED live feed. Same both sides.

The relay then receives the original lamp earth to Common and Coil. Other side of coil goes to original Main feed,just upstream of diode.

Led neg switch connection for Dip,goes to N/C. Led neg switch connection for Main,goes to N/O.

This gives relay fail-safe to Dip,not that we care...

None of this takes in to account things such as,lamp fail circuits,other ancillaries back-feeding and switching minor relay loads,etc

...i COULD,get a bent vicar,organise a reception,put a dress on an octopus,and marry it in the morning...

but just because we CAN,sometimes do things...does not always mean ,we should :stooge_curly:

idea has been scrapped. anyone want a couple od LED lamps, ? were only £8.99 for both, so no great loss. might just make a headtorch from one,

idea has been scrapped. anyone want a couple od LED lamps, ? were only £8.99 for both, so no great loss. might just make a headtorch from one,

Talking about that , mine arrived yesterday, just waiting on the batteries arriving now.
I must admit it looks good.

What? ...i went to all that effort for nowt? ...you ruddy well can be my best man,at my octopus wedding :tounge_smile:

peg.i will copy and paste your post into posterity. something for my grandchildren to wonder at. but thanks for the effort.

Reply to Toyota Hiace headlights in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net