Discuss Trade recognition australia taking the P*** in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Maddison

Cut a long story short guys. I applied for my A grade electrical license in November, I have my gold card etc, NVQ 3 am2 etc. have had to go through the process of having all of my city and guilds qualifications recognised at a cost of about $1600 so far. I get a phone call today telling me my application has been declined due to the start of my apprenticeship until the finish of my apprenticeship not being 4 years and only being 3 years 8 months. I was one of the few that actually
pulled my finger out when it came to doing the NVQ work and completed it in the 2nd year of my apprenticeship and was put in for my AM2 as soon as I was eligible. I just don't see why it should matter that a 4 year apprenticeship was not completed. They make it so hard and costly for guys to get their license but Australians can walk into the UK and work as a sparky no questions asked. Hope you all had a merry Christmas and new year. Thanks

Do you or did you have a JIB/SJIB Gold Card, if so, they carry the same weight as any international recognised electrician. (eg your apprenticeship would have been authenticated as acceptable)

Sounds like you may need to enter the appeal procedure, this could be just one guy/person that has a problem with giving Pomms registration!!

Yeah I sent certified copies of my gold card. I went through a private company. Similar to vetasses but purely for trade recognition so they gave me a list of what I needed to do and then they forwarded on all the documents to the TRA once they were happy with what I'd sent them. Certified copies of everything. Passport. VISA, references etc. yeah I think you've hit the nail on the head I'm probably just abit unfortunate and got a pommy hater. Just going to have to bite the bullet and pay $930 for an appeal. Hopefully persistence will pay off.

Well i hope that 930 dollars fee is refundable if the appeal is accepted?? The thing is that if the JIB/SJIB as a government and industry recognised body have accepted your apprenticeship as meeting the ''National'' requirement, which they obviously have, then who are they to state otherwise. Hell you even have the AM2 and NVQ 3 with issue dates within your apprenticeship period....

A bit different if you're apprenticeship was one of those UK 5 week affairs!! lol!!

Had a phone call off one of the assessors today. Basically said in black and white that a 4 year apprenticeship was needed. If it was 3 years 11 months they may have gone either way on it. As I completed it in 3 years 7 months it wasn't going to happen. The option she said to me was to undertake a trade test I guess similar to an AM2 at $1600 plus 600 dollars for the theory counterpart. It would mean having to fly to either Brisbane or Perth and sitting the exam. And I thought the uk electrical industry were a bunch of money grabbing ******* lol

Had a phone call off one of the assessors today. Basically said in black and white that a 4 year apprenticeship was needed. If it was 3 years 11 months they may have gone either way on it. As I completed it in 3 years 7 months it wasn't going to happen. The option she said to me was to undertake a trade test I guess similar to an AM2 at $1600 plus 600 dollars for the theory counterpart. It would mean having to fly to either Brisbane or Perth and sitting the exam. And I thought the uk electrical industry were a bunch of money grabbing ******* lol

Sounds to me like a ''job's worth'' office worker that's making the decisions here!! Most of our European friends apprenticeships have always been around the 3 year mark, are they all rejected too?? Again like em or loathe them the JIB is recognised throughout the western world, especially commonwealth countries, as the approved grading body for journeyman electricians. So if you hold a JIB gold card and hold all the relevant qualifications associated with attaining that grade, what is their problem?? ...A few months of being classed as an apprentice, sounds total nonsense to me!!

I don't deal with JIB, so I may be talking total nonsense here, but you might find that they have a PR type person who can champion your corner on this - as you so rightly say, if it's accepted everywhere else and other countries have lesser period apprenticeships then I really can't see what the issue here is. It's worth a call to the JIB, at least.

I don't deal with JIB, so I may be talking total nonsense here, but you might find that they have a PR type person who can champion your corner on this - as you so rightly say, if it's accepted everywhere else and other countries have lesser period apprenticeships then I really can't see what the issue here is. It's worth a call to the JIB, at least.

That's a really good call!!

Especially if you can get hold of someone beyond the divvies on telephone desk, that can put you in touch with the right person or department.

Yeah that's a great idea il try an email to them and if I get no response il get on the phone. Il keep you posted. Thanks fellas

the thing is..you have done a 4 year apprenticeship. the fact that you managed to complete the thing in a few months under the 4 years should favourably reflect on your ability and knowledge.

You will find the austrailians love there rules, they have an attitude of if you don't like them don't come here. The uk could do with this attitude.

Been there done that, got the 'A' grade licence. Good luck with you move down under.

That doesn't sound right.

Australia (Victoria at least) now have something called "competency based completion" ie. when you have finished your trade school your employer can sign you out of your apprenticeship if they think you are up to it. You no longer have to serve you time as before.

My brother had his application for trade recognition as a motor mechanic rejected also and you would think cars are the same in NZ as Oz so you aren't alone.

Good luck!!!

Reply to Trade recognition australia taking the P*** in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock