Discuss Trendiswitch fused spur - no earth in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Looking to replace 3 fused spurs in the kitchen - have bought Trendiswitches as love them and gradually replacing all the old electrics round the house with them. First time I've looked at a fused spur, took off the old one, with an earth each side, the Trendiswitch is not earthed? Can I still use? Father-in-law just said to connect up the earths together. Is this OK?

If the new switch does not require earthing then continuity of the earths must be maintained for the circuit and anything connected from the spur. If the back boxes are metal then the earths can be connected here to ensure the back boxes remain earthed, this is essential. The existing spurs will have had 13A fuses, do your new switches and are they suitable for direct connection to a ring final circuit if this is what you have.

If the trendiswitch is all plastic, or marked “double insulated” then it may not need to be earthed at all. Like a simple plastic light switch, the incoming and outgoing earths are connected together.

if it’s a metal backbox, then connect that to earth as well.

Could you let us know the model of the switches, and possibly a photo of the rear, to see if these are suitable for what you are wanting to use them for.

Is it these that you are installing? - Trendi Artistic Modern Glossy Screwless Fused Spur Switch White - Trendiswitch - https://www.trendiswitch.com/products/fswh/

If so then there doesn't appear to be an earth, so I assume it's double insulated....

There is a picture of the rear on this page but nothing to confirm it's double insulated - are they all plastic? - Tech - Trendiswitch - https://www.trendiswitch.com/technical/

Trendi-Fused-Spur-251x300.jpg

Assuming that is the case, then as already advised you must ensure the earth continuity is kept - either via connecting them in the back box if metal, or connecting in and out together with a suitable wago or similar connector...

Reply to Trendiswitch fused spur - no earth in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net