Discuss Tricks for installing CarFlex/LiquidTight along narrow Fence Rail in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a project coming up to add a few outlets along an outdoor fence for outdoor lighting. It's a wooden fence and I am planning to run the conduit along the horizontal rail.

I'm planning to use 1/2 CarFlex/Liquidtight since the fence follows some hefty curves in the yard. Where I'm stuck, is how to attach the conduit along the narrow side (top) of the 2x4 fence rails. I think the rails are too narrow for one-hole straps which are 1.92" according to the web.

the fence is already built and the vertical boards on the face of the fence are tight together without any gap between.

Has anyone come across this before and has any tips/tricks they used to solve it?

Thanks!

something like this? these are 20mm (3/4") for pvc conduit.. used over here. dunno if you can get similar over the pond.

1592182970055.png

That gives me an idea what I'm looking for. In the US if you search "1/2 conduit clip" you end up with a different style strap/clip, which is what is too wide. this sent me down the road of looking at pipe/plumbing instead of electrical parts. I'm still trying to find those from a US source, but it also led me to these PEX plumbing clips which may also work. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

1592183980434.png

pvc conduit clips. think you need 1/2". not common over here. all our stuff is bloody metric.
[automerge]1592183697[/automerge]
here is a UK supplier for 1/2".

I have a project coming up to add a few outlets along an outdoor fence for outdoor lighting. It's a wooden fence and I am planning to run the conduit along the horizontal rail.

I'm planning to use 1/2 CarFlex/Liquidtight since the fence follows some hefty curves in the yard. Where I'm stuck, is how to attach the conduit along the narrow side (top) of the 2x4 fence rails. I think the rails are too narrow for one-hole straps which are 1.92" according to the web.

the fence is already built and the vertical boards on the face of the fence are tight together without any gap between.

Has anyone come across this before and has any tips/tricks they used to solve it?

Thanks!
Leko916 welcome to the forum and how about using Romex staples and then use approved black wire ties to attach the Carlon flex to that and believe it or not it’s legal
[automerge]1592351901[/automerge]
Leko916 welcome to the forum and how about using Romex staples and then use approved black wire ties to attach the Carlon flex to that and believe it or not it’s legal
When I say approved wire ties they have to be sunlight resistant

Last edited:
[automerge]1592351901[/automerge]

When I say approved wire ties they have to be sunlight resistant
They also have to be UL listed style 21s and they sell them at Home Depot which have a tensile strength of 170 pounds and are good from-20 degrees F to 185 degrees F

Thanks! I'll check this out! would be a LOT cheaper than a bunch of PEX clips. Seems like it would go against code to make such an item but I wonder if they make stainless romex staples that wouldn't eventually rust on the fence. Thanks for the tip, I think this is the solution I am leaning towards now!

They also have to be UL listed style 21s and they sell them at Home Depot which have a tensile strength of 170 pounds and are good from-20 degrees F to 185 degrees F

Thanks! I'll check this out! would be a LOT cheaper than a bunch of PEX clips. Seems like it would go against code to make such an item but I wonder if they make stainless romex staples that wouldn't eventually rust on the fence. Thanks for the tip, I think this is the solution I am leaning towards now!
Not sure about stainless staples but wire ties was approved in the 2020 NEC edition. Good luck and buy the black ones

Reply to Tricks for installing CarFlex/LiquidTight along narrow Fence Rail in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net