Discuss Tripping contact breaker in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a contact breaker that trips off randomly. Sometimes it's two or three times a week and at other times it can go six weeks or more without tripping. It doesn't seem to be associated with switching any lights or appliances on or off and I'm worried it could trip off when we're away on holiday and we could lose all the freezer contents. Does anybody know of an instrument I could hire or buy to find the fault that is causing this problem, please?

Thanks Pauls0212 and telectrix for your suggestions to use an electrician. I googled RCCB tripping randomly and found this thread from 2016 on https://talk.electriciansforums.co.uk/topic/32188-rccb-tripping-randomly/ with a similar question from Wah007. The reply from "Trailer Boy" was most helpful. However, Wah007's experience with using various electricians suggests it's most important to find an electrician who has all the equipment suggested by Trailer Boy, and knows how to use it, which several of the electricians used by Wah007 did not. So the question now becomes "How do I find an electrician locally who has all this kit and knows how to use it?"

Reply to Tripping contact breaker in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi I am asking for help as a novice and 1st time user of this forum. Recently started to experience tripping of MCB & sometimes with the RCD at...
Replies
Views
Good evening, I have recently moved into a new home and I am having problems with the MCB/RCD tripping (Mem M6 Type 3 - 30mA). It intermittently...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I have recently encountered that my circuit breaker for the upstairs lights keeps tripping. I flick it back on and immediately it trips...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have an old 16A Wylex SK type B plug-in breaker in the fuse box in my garage which keeps tripping, and every time (and only at that time)...
Replies
Views
if my brand new fridge is connected to a circuit with an ARC Fault breaker, and if the circuit has ONLY ONE OUTLET on it (the one to which the...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock