Discuss Trunking in house (18th edition) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

So if I use 100mm wide plastic trunking on a ceiling, the actual cover doesn't have to be secured, so that could potentially catch fire and fall down and trap someone (weighing far more than 16mm mini trunkng).

Not sure how old the flat is, but I would guess 1940s. The current lighting circuit is in singles and is run inside steel conduit. I always try pulling singles through, but I haven't had much luck with similar set ups in the past.
Any cover plates on the ceilings for the junction boxes or the walls for the sockets?

So if I use 100mm wide plastic trunking on a ceiling, the actual cover doesn't have to be secured, so that could potentially catch fire and fall down and trap someone (weighing far more than 16mm mini trunkng).

I think you are missing the point of the change mate.
Try being a firefighter for a day and then see how you feel.
The reg is changed to stop entanglement with cable. This can happen at any height. Feet, arms, heads & breathing equipment can all get entangled. When a house is full of smoke visibility can be virtually non-existent. They may have to feel their way through the house.

I think you are missing the point of the change mate.
Try being a firefighter for a day and then see how you feel.
The reg is changed to stop entanglement with cable. This can happen at any height. Feet, arms, heads & breathing equipment can all get entangled. When a house is full of smoke visibility can be virtually non-existent. They may have to feel their way through the house.

I clearly am missing the point. So trunking 6" from the ground above skirting boards has to follow this criteria in case it falls on anyone, and as per my previous post can 100mm plastic trunking covers be fitted unsupported?

I clearly am missing the point. So trunking 6" from the ground above skirting boards has to follow this criteria in case it falls on anyone, and as per my previous post can 100mm plastic trunking covers be fitted unsupported?

If you use the word 'entangles' rather than 'fall' then it makes more sense.

Plastic trunking will melt in a fire. It will not entangle a firefighter like copper cable can.

I admit to not taking too much notice of the 18th edition changes as I only took my 18th exam last week (no excuses I am not a good spark like most on here).

I have a flat to do that needs the lighting circuit rewired, but being the ceilings are like concrete and the owners don't want major disruption, it will be done in mini trunking. I usually use self adhesive trunking and seal it with white no nails to give it a strong fixing as drilling through concrete to fix screws in will be an absolute nightmare. So where do I technically stand not using metal fixings to secure it?
Use trunking but fix cable with metal clips internally

Who the hell only relies on the sticky back of trunking....especially on a ceiling?!?!

If u drill the trunking to the ceiling before u screw the screw in put it through the fire clip...this holds the cables in place after the lid has fallen or melted off.

Who the hell only relies on the sticky back of trunking....especially on a ceiling?!?!

If u drill the trunking to the ceiling before u screw the screw in put it through the fire clip...this holds the cables in place after the lid has fallen or melted off.

Only fools would probably rely on sticky back trunking especially on a ceiling (?!?!), hence why I said I use no nails. I've never had any issues whatsoever with mini trunking when I've used it on concrete ceilings with decent no nails (sticks like s**t works well).

Only fools would probably rely on sticky back trunking especially on a ceiling (?!?!), hence why I said I use no nails. I've never had any issues whatsoever with mini trunking when I've used it on concrete ceilings with decent no nails (sticks like s**t works well).

Was the customer happy when you started a fire under it to test the fire resistance of the trunking fixings
I'm not sure how you intend to secure the cables in the trunking or are you using no nails for that as well

Was the customer happy when you started a fire under it to test the fire resistance of the trunking fixings
I'm not sure how you intend to secure the cables in the trunking or are you using no nails for that as well

I use some Harry Monk for that (works a treat). Occasionally the customer gets the hump when I start producing it, but I tell them it's a natural substance and good for the enviroment.

I’ve just carried out the same type of installation in a flat in Manchester, luckily for me my job was having false ceilings throughout due to the concrete ceilings having cracks along the slab joints, the customer also wanted down lighters in all the rooms so easy for me, we put up the British Gypsum MF ceiling system.

If your using mini trunking your going to have to use metal mechanical clips throughout you could use a Hilti nail gun to fix your fire clips to the concrete, I used a concrete nail gun to fix my ceiling channels to the walls

This isn’t a new requirement as escape routes were covered under 17th. Reg applies to all areas just an improvement. I am amazed this is even up for discussion?
It’s not just fire escape route now it’s all parts of the installation that have to have fire rated clips to stop the cables dropping

It’s not just fire escape route now it’s all parts of the installation that have to have fire rated clips to stop the cables dropping

@Frugby just stated that fire rated clips have been in the regs since the 17th. Yes the 18th have now gone further with it.
I'm also with him on why people are still questioning this.

Reply to Trunking in house (18th edition) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net