Discuss TT system, RCD or RCBO in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
At the risk of asking a silly question could someone advise me on the following:

Client has a TT system with only half the circuits covered by an RCD, they want a light adding on a light circuit thats currently not covered by the rcd.

Now with half circuits not going to meet the disconnection times if I work on just the lighting circuit would I still have to cover all the circuits that haven't got an RCD with a new RCD or am I allowed to cover just the lighting circuit with an RCBO because that's the circuit i'l be working on?

Because of the results when testing I'm thinking i'm going to have to cover all the circuits but I'm just wanting to check the RCBO route incase the IR is low (old wiring) and nuisance tripping could occur (I know the clients won't be wanting to pay extra if I have to start going digging).

Thanks in advance

Well you need to at least ensure your work fully complies so an rcbo would acheive this and limit the potential problems from protecting multiple other circuits with another RCD
If your using an rcbo is the CU at the origin of the installation?
However you also have a duty of care having seen the installation and the problem with the unprotected circuits, i would at least put this in writing to the customer and quote him to allow you to correct the problem, making sure you press on him its a problem thats needs resolving quickly

Is it possible to get a PME connection?

No only half the circuits are protected by an rcd, the other half are not, as I think about it from a safety point of view to be fair I'm thinking I should protect them all but I can see how the conversation will go haha

Welchyboy yes I totally agree I think that is a good way to do it if they refuse to go ahead with the rcd route thanks

Thanks essex, yea I think il just prepare the reasons in client speak why they should bite the bullet, and if they are adamant then like welchyboy states put it in writing that this needs to be rectified asap, cheers guys appreciate the advise

The fusebox is a tenby I can't seem to find any tenby rcbo's in the usual merchants but have read Wylex fits Tenby? Does anyone know if Tenby is still going or if they merged with any other manufacturer?

Yep found them thanks mate
6 064 16 LEGRAND 6a RCBO 30ma 10ka B TYPE
  • TT system, RCD or RCBO {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
£25.95

A N-E fault on the lighting circuit you have altered will possibly take out the RCD serving the rest of the installation. The only way to prevent that is a device which disconnects the N.

A N-E fault on the lighting circuit you have altered will probably take out the RCD serving the rest of the installation. The only way to prevent that is a device which disconnects the N.
Ah yes I didn't think about the DP, if I remember theres a reg aswell that says TT systems need a DP..... they don't like making it too easy for the sparks do they haha!

Reply to TT system, RCD or RCBO in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock