Discuss tt system in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

hughesy

hi guys, need some help im wiring a indoor arena on a farm never done this type of work before so not sure what is required am going through the regs but could do with a quick anser . firstly do i need to crossbond all the steel frame work and can i put an earth rod in for the earth of the building and will i need to install a lightining protection system ,i am new to this area of work as i am mainly domestic but like a challenge and dont want to turn the job down lots of help will be greatfully accepted.

I've never done any of this before either so best of luck!! Please don't just accept a quick answer but research it fully. As it's a farm all of your safety values are halved. Where is the feed coming from? is it an existing install that's being adapted? Don't be scared of anything it's just like a house but easier to install. All the steelwork should be bolted together otherwise it will fall down, I reckon thats the supp bonding but main bonding still needs to be done. The only problem you would get from too much "earth" is too high a PFC , your mcb is probably only rated to 6K. Please let us know how things go as this is an area I feel few of us know enough about.

There are a fair few things that need to be taken into consideration with this type of install.

Im not sure you could say its just like a house but easier.

If livestock are going to be part of this and its classed as a farm building there is a specific section in the regs that covers this. Its not as straight forward as you think!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never done any of this before either so best of luck!! Please don't just accept a quick answer but research it fully. As it's a farm all of your safety values are halved. Where is the feed coming from? is it an existing install that's being adapted? Don't be scared of anything it's just like a house but easier to install. All the steelwork should be bolted together otherwise it will fall down, I reckon thats the supp bonding but main bonding still needs to be done. The only problem you would get from too much "earth" is too high a PFC , your mcb is probably only rated to 6K. Please let us know how things go as this is an area I feel few of us know enough about.
jeremy you are right , im going to reference it all through the regs and get some more advice and learn how to put an earth rod in the job is not till jan/feb so pleantyof time to start planning will post a thread when ive made some proggress , i cant even remember even having to look at an earth rod in college whats all that about.

There are a fair few things that need to be taken into consideration with this type of install.

Im not sure you could say its just like a house but easier.

If livestock are going to be part of this and its classed as a farm building there is a specific section in the regs that covers this. Its not as straight forward as you think!
live stock wont be living there but people will be horse riding as its an arena also the only electrical supply is for the lights which is coming from a lighting circuit in the barn next door via sub main as long as i can do that got alot to learn on this but am looking forward to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to tt system in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock