Discuss UK Speed Limits for vans .................... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Aye, became aware a few years back. The fixed speed cameras round here don't differentiate, I have heard some ANPR equipped ones do though.
I could get mine reclassified with some modifications, but it's not worth it, I'll just keep it easy on the right foot.

Mate of mine go done in Scotland a couple of years ago, twice on the same stretch of road. He was most unimpressed...

If its the right sort of anpr based speed camera then it checks speed. Tax insurance mot etc... it then determines type of vehicle based on the reg plate via dvla and then will flag for speeding if relevant.
I know in this area the police can put markers on a reg plate so that as soon as a camera picks it up they track and intercept it if the person is wanted... welcome to big brother society!!
They are now putting in linked average speed cameras so if you go from one camera or junction to another too quickly the they know youve been speeding at some point... will be a big money maker for them...

well you know now. i was only aware of them about 5 years ago.

If its the right sort of anpr based speed camera then it checks speed. Tax insurance mot etc... it then determines type of vehicle based on the reg plate via dvla and then will flag for speeding if relevant.
I know in this area the police can put markers on a reg plate so that as soon as a camera picks it up they track and intercept it if the person is wanted... welcome to big brother society!!
They are now putting in linked average speed cameras so if you go from one camera or junction to another too quickly the they know youve been speeding at some point... will be a big money maker for them...

Big brother - no

Sensible use of technology - Yes

Speed limit for vans 50mph, lots of people tell you that it's nonsense but it's not.
The police will sit right behind you here in Glasgow and wait for you to move up every time they get closer then pull you for it, I always stayed at 50 and a bit below.

Also watch your driving licence if you get into one of those big tall Mercedes vans or a Ford transit tipper as they can be over the tonnage for a normal car licence even empty never mind a 1 ton pallet of cable.
My uncle has been driving for 40 years and he had to do an extra test and get a special licence to drive a big Mercedes van for his work, I see most people jumping in any size van and driving about with a full load, that's all well until you get a random traffic stop and they look at your driving licence then you can be classed as driving without a valid licence and get banned and heavily fined immediately. ( think a ban between 2 and 5 years points on when you go to apply and sit a driving test years down the line for a new licence and a fine of up to £1,000)

Google weight limits for a standard UK licence.

Looking at the gov.uk link, which should override any info that google brings up, part of that page reads "Vehicles under 2 tonnes laden (loaded) weight may qualify as a ‘car-derived van’ or ‘dual-purpose vehicle’. These vehicles have the same speed limits as cars."

But on the table at the top, they say car-derived vans are 60mph on dual carriageway and m-way. Cars are 70.

That's confusing.

I must confess I drive my van like a car regarding speed limits. Its a citroen berlingo, short wheel base. Same shape as the Berlingo cars with the silly cup holders.

And why should a motorhome, which can be bigger than a works transit have a higher speed limit?

I agree that "speed traps" are not there to make money. They are there to reduce the number of casualties of RTA's due to excessive speed. The threat of a fine is there to stop people from breaking the law.

That would make the 6th gear in a Renault Traffic totally redundant if you weren't allowed to go over 60mph

But what does car derived even mean in these days of SUV crossovers

If your van is built on a chassis used by a car then it is car derived. I think the only production vehicle that still qualifies is a Fiesta, the Astra also qualifies although is no longer manufactured.

Reply to UK Speed Limits for vans .................... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock