Discuss United Kingdom Budget 2018. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

If they do reduce the VAT threshold it's going to be like not issuing tax discs ....a saving of x wasn't achieved as evasion has increased massively.

Anyone got any tips of what to expect?

I have heard there is a possibility the VAT threshold will be reduced to £45k.
I reckon the 40% threshold will go up a bit, VAT down a bit and the tax start of rate up to 12,500. Corporation Tax back up and business rates down, due to Debenhams struggling.

I can never get my head round why a business owner would intentionally try to stay under the vat threshold, all you are doing is stunting the growth of your Company.
And staying under it you're never going to get anywhere in life, I know people can do cash jobs to keep under it but again you are creating a Ceiling for your business when I thought the whole point was to do and be the best you can in life.
I can just imagine Richard Branson and Alan sugar sat in the pub trying do the sums to keep under the vat threshold.
This is just my opinion by the way and no offence is meant to anyone under the threshold.

I can never get my head round why a business owner would intentionally try to stay under the vat threshold, all you are doing is stunting the growth of your Company.

For me its very simple - The VAT threshold for this year is £85K revenue ..... I have no plans to expand and don't have any need to be VAT reg

Why complicate matters if you don't need to...

For me its very simple - The VAT threshold for this year is £85K revenue ..... I have no plans to expand and don't have any need to be VAT reg

Why complicate matters if you don't need to...
But surely the only reason you have no need to go vat registered is because as you say you never expanded.
I just find it a funny mindset for any person to have that when setting up a business they start with an attitude of not wanting to grow that business.

But surely the only reason you have no need to go vat registered is because as you say you never expanded.
I just find it a funny mindset for any person to have that when setting up a business they start with an attitude of not wanting to grow that business.

Why would I want to expand?

The whole reason to be SE is that I can suit myself ....... and not have people to answer to ................ or be responsible for ...........

Why would I want to expand?

The whole reason to be SE is that I can suit myself ....... and not have people to answer to ................ or be responsible for ...........
Just to clarify, I am not saying you personally should go vat registered it's more a general statement to anyone who sets up in business.
I fully accept some people want a simple and steady life, like I say I just find it strange to set a ceiling on their business before they even start.

I agree with the APE actually, if people want to stay small then fine, but avoiding VAT will stop your company growing and I think most people want to make money if life, JMO.

Growing my business has given me more time to do things I want than less. Yes there is that growing period when I had no time to spare but once you are over that mountain it is all good.

I am spolit for time these days and at 36 with a 12 year old son I spend so much time with him it is just a joy. How many fathers can say they see there son off from school and welcome him home? A real delight.

Growing my business has given me more time to do things I want than less. Yes there is that growing period when I had no time to spare but once you are over that mountain it is all good.

I am spolit for time these days and at 36 with a 12 year old son I spend so much time with him it is just a joy. How many fathers can say they see there son off from school and welcome him home? A real delight.
Nice one mate, obviously the hard work has paid off.
This just strengthens my thoughts, turning over less than the threshold every year of your business life probably means you're still going to be ripping floor boards up when you're 70.

Again jmo.

Nice one mate, obviously the hard work has paid off.
This just strengthens my thoughts, turning over less than the threshold every year of your business life probably means you're still going to be ripping floor boards up when you're 70.

Again jmo.

I have to agree.

Funnily I am currently going through sever back issues from sitting in the office too much. Haha

From my view I registered for vat when i set up on my own to claim back the vat on the tools and kit etc.. then de-registered. I wouldnt want to have to register again as my focus is domestic work and it would price me out the market locally. Due to some major leg injuries, I had to change focus. I now have a good work life balance.
I could work more and chase the money but I would be physically wrecked and not enjoying it. sometimes it is better to be happy in what you do. If I expanded I would loose the very reasons I am self employed.

Reply to United Kingdom Budget 2018. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock