Discuss UNSATIFACTORY EICR REPORT BASED ON C3 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

SHAHHA

DIY
Reaction score
An Inspection was done on my Rental Flat , and UNSATISFACTORY report issued . There was only one C3 (4.4- Plastic Consumer Unit ) Is this correct to issue UNSATISFACTORY report based on one C3 ..... Confronted with Engineer , but he is not willing to change ... Where I should complain for this. Page 4,5,6 attached here. Do I have any ground to complaint.

Attachments

• REPORT PAGES.pdf
    62.3 KB · Views: 57
An Inspection was done on my Rental Flat , and UNSATISFACTORY report issued . There was only one C3 (4.4- Plastic Consumer Unit ) Is this correct to issue UNSATISFACTORY report based on one C3 ..... Confronted with Engineer , but he is not willing to change ... Where I should complain for this. Page 4,5,6 attached here. Do I have any ground to complaint.
What was listed on Page 2 (part 7 - observations and recommendations).

On page 1 directly under the "Unsatisfactory" rating, it even says -

"* An unsatisfactory assessment indicates that dangerous (Code C1) and/or potentially dangerous (Code C2)
conditions have been identified."

If only the C3 you mention for a plastic consumer unit, then yes the report should have been issued as satisfactory. Only, C1, C2 or FI (Further information) should lead to an unsatisfactory report.

Having a combustible (plastic) consumer unit is not grounds for a C2 and unsatisfactory unless there is a sign of thermal damage or loose terminals, which do not appear to show on the certificate

If the Engineer is not willing to change their outcome then I would suggest getting that in writing from them, then the NICEIC would be the place that you could approach to raise a complaint as they appear to be an NICEIC approved contractor.

C3 means improvement recommended so this alone cannot result in an unsatisfactory report as it's only a recommendation.

What was listed on Page 2 (part 7 - observations and recommendations).

On page 1 directly under the "Unsatisfactory" rating, it even says -

"* An unsatisfactory assessment indicates that dangerous (Code C1) and/or potentially dangerous (Code C2)
conditions have been identified."

If only the C3 you mention for a plastic consumer unit, then yes the report should have been issued as satisfactory. Only, C1, C2 or FI (Further information) should lead to an unsatisfactory report.

Having a combustible (plastic) consumer unit is not grounds for a C2 and unsatisfactory unless there is a sign of thermal damage or loose terminals, which do not appear to show on the certificate

If the Engineer is not willing to change their outcome then I would suggest getting that in writing from them, then the NICEIC would be the place that you could approach to raise a complaint as they appear to be an NICEIC approved contractor.
Please see page 2 , Here he did mention one C2 -- Bathroom light not IP rated... Why this is not found in the Inspection schedule...is it normal ... Also On Page 2 he clearly ticked N/A for observation and recommendations..

Attachments

• PAGE 2.pdf
    130.3 KB · Views: 30
When was the plastic CU installed if it was before the new regulations came into force it'not retrospective, was the CU install compliant at the time of installation?

Last edited:
As a landlord you are responsible for the electrical installation in your property and should listen to appropriate advice about it. So one option would be to replace the CU with a non-combustible one, use the sign-off from the (qualified) installer to "cancel" the unsatisfactory EICR - and sleep at night.

But I'd probably use a different sparky to do the job.

If a plastic insulated consumer unit is a fail (unsatisfactory) then millions of rentals will fall into this category...
A C3 is merely a recommendation, it has little to no baring on the safety of the electrical installation.

Very few of those observations can get away with a N/A

Condition of Suppliers head, meter, etc should be a tick. Should only be N/A if it’s not actually there. (Such as suppliers isolator, which is a relatively new idea and not every property has one)

There are pages full of N/A.
would love to see the circuits form and see if it tally’s with the actual DB

As a landlord you are responsible for the electrical installation in your property and should listen to appropriate advice about it. So one option would be to replace the CU with a non-combustible one, use the sign-off from the (qualified) installer to "cancel" the unsatisfactory EICR - and sleep at night.

But I'd probably use a different sparky to do the job.
As a landlord they have a duty to abide by the law and the law does not require an undamaged non combustible CU to be changed.

I can't imagine most landlords have too much of a problem sleeping at night.

Sounds like a quick look in cupboard with DB and bathroom and out the door would like to see the Test sheet
It could even be a photo EICR as in landlord sent a pic of board and points over

There are two aspects to this.
To cover your landlord duties, if there is only one C2 there for a non IP rated bathroom light then just get another sparks to change it (it's not an expensive job or expensive light), and as long as you have a document saying it's repaired you have done what you need to do in terms of meeting the requirements of the legislation. You are then sorted for 5 years.

But the other aspect is I'd be quite concerned the inspection hasn't even looked at the supplier earthing arrangements or intake. It might be the supply for the flat is in a common area he didn't have access to, but this should have been noted as an operational limitation if so. Is it possible to see the whole report with the property and contractor details blanked out?

Are the bathroom lights downlights? Unless there is a low ceiling they may well be above the 2.25m zone requirement anyway, which should not attract a C2.

As you say, the C2 listed on Page 2 should be noted on page 6 under 6.6, where it is ticked, so the document is inconsistent at best.

If the bathroom light is within the zones and isn't appropriately IP rated (it's not always obvious) then perhaps changing it will be sensible in any case as any report would pick that up as a C2 and it is at least a potential issue of safety.

As pointed out, as long as you have documented proof of the light being changed then you have complied with your requirements so it is not necessary to obtain another report just to show satisfactory.

If the install is a flat and/or relatively new, then the LIMs on the items 1.x are not necessarily a concern - Is the meter perhaps in a remote room elsewhere in the complex? In which case the property management company may have some responsibility for the feed to each flat and you may be able to ask them for something in writing that their part of the installation is safe..

In theory, all LIMs on a report are agreed with the client though, as you are the one ordering the work and with the responsibility to ensure safety - so if it's an older installation or those parts are easily accessible its more of a concern that they weren't even visually checked.

The light needing to be IP rated is dependant on where it's installed. Outside of the zones and a normal light can be installed.

UNSATIFACTORY EICR REPORT  BASED ON C3 {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
This drawing is not compliant with BS7671:2018

This drawing is not compliant with BS7671:2018
It's surprisingly hard to find an accurate one these days - and not just because of the old change. The tap thing seems to have crept into most of them...(I think that may be from a guidance document somewhere for general suitability of accessories?, but not relevant to zones....)

UNSATIFACTORY EICR REPORT  BASED ON C3 Bathroom Zones - EletriciansForums.net
UNSATIFACTORY EICR REPORT  BASED ON C3 bathroom Zones 2 - EletriciansForums.net

There are two aspects to this.
To cover your landlord duties, if there is only one C2 there for a non IP rated bathroom light then just get another sparks to change it (it's not an expensive job or expensive light), and as long as you have a document saying it's repaired you have done what you need to do in terms of meeting the requirements of the legislation. You are then sorted for 5 years.

But the other aspect is I'd be quite concerned the inspection hasn't even looked at the supplier earthing arrangements or intake. It might be the supply for the flat is in a common area he didn't have access to, but this should have been noted as an operational limitation if so. Is it possible to see the whole report with the property and contractor details blanked out?
In practice the letting agent will demand an EICR with satisfactory written on it, even with a new cu install cert, in my experience.

OP is the spark insisting on improvement work and if so what? Is the property RCD protected? (Shedule of test results will tell us)

Reply to UNSATIFACTORY EICR REPORT BASED ON C3 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock