Discuss Unusual wiring route in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Chector

I'm working on a 3 bed semi that is being split into two flats. Ground floor is concrete so all the cables for ground floor sockets run through the ceiling. The client has resquested an additional socket but doesn't want the wall paper or walls damaged. Their suggestion is to break into the blocked up chimney and run the wire in there.

So obviously not clipped for about 7 feet. Possible moisture problem running down the cable into the back box but I guess I could add a loop so it drips off. Can anyone see any other problems ?

As an apprentice I was taught that it is unacceptable to run cables through blocked off chimneys.
For starters there is a tendancy for the soot to leech through where you drill into it and cause a black mark to slowly grow on the wall

I'm working on a 3 bed semi that is being split into two flats. Ground floor is concrete so all the cables for ground floor sockets run through the ceiling. The client has resquested an additional socket but doesn't want the wall paper or walls damaged. Their suggestion is to break into the blocked up chimney and run the wire in there.

So obviously not clipped for about 7 feet. Possible moisture problem running down the cable into the back box but I guess I could add a loop so it drips off. Can anyone see any other problems ?

Why is it that "the client" want's this that and the other, doesn't want any damage etc etc, surely it's up to us as qualified Electricians to point out the dangers of doing what they want, are they aware of the dangers? no of course not" I appreciate it's work, which means money for you, but it's your neck on the line if you agree to their wishes, point out the possible problems, and the ramifications of agreeing with them, if they disagree walk away, well that's my 5 pennysworth, lets see what others think.

Why is it that "the client" want's this that and the other, doesn't want any damage etc etc, surely it's up to us as qualified Electricians to point out the dangers of doing what they want, are they aware of the dangers? no of course not" I appreciate it's work, which means money for you, but it's your neck on the line if you agree to their wishes, point out the possible problems, and the ramifications of agreeing with them, if they disagree walk away, well that's my 5 pennysworth, lets see what others think.

Exactly, my neck is worth more than their wallpaper!

Thanks Pete. I was trying to get as many convincing arguments as I could before tell them I'm not doing it. Thanks for portraying me as someone who just wants the money and has no standards. A post in this forum wouldn't be the same without a reply like yours.

Thanks for the other positive replies. I like the soot one best, sure to put them off.

Thanks Pete. I was trying to get as many convincing arguments as I could before tell them I'm not doing it. Thanks for portraying me as someone who just wants the money and has no standards. A post in this forum wouldn't be the same without a reply like yours.

Thanks for the other positive replies. I like the soot one best, sure to put them off.

I have to say that I have read Pete's post a good few times through and I'm not getting any of the inference you seem to have done.

Reply to Unusual wiring route in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net