NICEIC Certification Scheme Upcoming NICEIC Assessment

Discuss Upcoming NICEIC Assessment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I passed the "approved contractor scheme"! 🤩

I was really nervous as you all know but the assessor was a really nice guy, really knowledgeable and the best bit was....he was a vaper so we both chilled out vaping and drinking as many brews as we could between jobs.
Paperwork was all in order but he picked me up on a slight error in my Section 7 Observations but it really was a minor thing really.

I took him to the golf course as planned which went perfectly, the staff there gave us free coffee and food (the staff know me very well as I look after their electrics) so that was good of them. Went to 3 jobs in all, two commercial one domestic.

Simple tests really, Ze (Earthing Conductor disconnected), Zdb, Zs, r1 + r2, RCD trip times, ring final testing no IR though.

I ensured I proved dead each time with an approved voltage indicator and known supply (martindale) and ensured I set the correct Torque settings for each conductor when re-connected.

Once I got into the flow of things and realised that he wasn't there to trip me up, things went really well.

Thanks to all you guys for the valued input, it means a lot to me that there are people out there like me who just need a little lift up sometimes due to lack of confidence. We are not all super-sparks as much as we like to think we are. :D

Mike.

I passed the "approved contractor scheme"! 🤩

I was really nervous as you all know but the assessor was a really nice guy, really knowledgeable and the best bit was....he was a vaper so we both chilled out vaping and drinking as many brews as we could between jobs.
Paperwork was all in order but he picked me up on a slight error in my Section 7 Observations but it really was a minor thing really.

I took him to the golf course as planned which went perfectly, the staff there gave us free coffee and food (the staff know me very well as I look after their electrics) so that was good of them. Went to 3 jobs in all, two commercial one domestic.

Simple tests really, Ze (Earthing Conductor disconnected), Zdb, Zs, r1 + r2, RCD trip times, ring final testing no IR though.

I ensured I proved dead each time with an approved voltage indicator and known supply (martindale) and ensured I set the correct Torque settings for each conductor when re-connected.

Once I got into the flow of things and realised that he wasn't there to trip me up, things went really well.

Thanks to all you guys for the valued input, it means a lot to me that there are people out there like me who just need a little lift up sometimes due to lack of confidence. We are not all super-sparks as much as we like to think we are. :D

Mike.
'Took him to the golf course' :cool:
No wonder you passed :)
Good for you Mike. It does feel great once you've passed and they have gone.

Congratulations. Not half as bad as people think. Can be worth speaking to the assessor general knowledge sparks
Cheers pal. What a relief! I focussed on him quite a bit to get to know him as a person and he really opened up which certainly helped the process along. There wasn't a moments silence between us (between vapes and brews that is) :D

'Took him to the golf course' :cool:
No wonder you passed :)
Good for you Mike. It does feel great once you've passed and they have gone.
Hehehe. Gotta grease the wheels where you can. He was well happy with the free food n brews. :)

Didn't get a single observation on my report which I'm really happy about so maybe he felt the little niggles he spotted were not worth a mention to the people higher up?

Thanks bud, the sheer relief I felt when I shut the front door was unreal. Wife and family are overjoyed so it's all good.

Onwards and upwards eh....đź’Ş

Hi mate, just wondering if there were any significant differences between the NAPIT and the NICEIC assessment that you noticed?
I have NAPIT and wondering whether its worth swapping.

I went with NAPIT because NICEIC didn't get back to me after several attempts at contacting them.

Hi mate, just wondering if there were any significant differences between the NAPIT and the NICEIC assessment that you noticed?
I have NAPIT and wondering whether its worth swapping.

I went with NAPIT because NICEIC didn't get back to me after several attempts at contacting them.

Hi bud.

I was happy with NAPIT to be honest. Their customer service absolutely trounces NICEIC as they are keen to keep you happy and their website works! The NICEIC website is broken and won't allow you to make online payments towards your fee's etc. Also, their online shop is broken too! Can't order any logo's for the van, t-shirts....anything really. I've put in a support ticket but have had no reply from over 3 weeks ago so they certainly take their time getting back to you!!
I attempted to use their online certification software too but there doesn't seem to be a guide on how to efficiently use it (no problems in filling it in, just how to do it quickly) so I abandoned that and went back to my trusty EasyCert software that I've been happily using for some years now.

As far as the assessment are concerned, the NAPIT assessor was certainly a LOT more relaxed than the NICEIC guy. Was with the NAPIT guy for half a day but a full day with the NICEIC.
NICEIC guy was a lot more in depth as far as paperwork and compliance was concerned and wanted to see more variation with site work too. He was quite specific with what he wanted to see as far as Inspection & Testing was concerned too.

If you decide to go with NICEIC, be prepared to be waiting around for them to get the wheels in motion but, this will give you more time to prepare really. If you want to go on the Private Rented Scheme for landlord assessments, this is now a separate thing and no longer an "opt in" so you'll need your paperwork AGAIN for that.
Also, TrustMark, if you intend to go with those, that is also a separate thing and no longer "opt in" so it's paperwork AGAIN.

If you call NAPIT to change to NICEIC, just tell them you're going PAYE (don't say you're joining NICEIC) for a while and they'll offer to store your details on file for ÂŁ99 which will mean you can basically jump back into NAPIT without having to go through all the registration process all over again!
Might be worth considering if things don't go to plan with NICEIC.

Ultimately, NAPIT is the easier choice as they're much more customer focused and the assessments appear to be a bit more relaxed.
I only went with NICEIC as it was a requirement for a large contract I wanted to tender for. I'll stay with NICEIC now for the forseeable future.

Oh, and be prepared to pay double-----initial assessment fee of around ÂŁ600 then, if you pass, you'll then pay a joining fee of around a similar amount. It ain't cheap bud!!! :(

Hi bud.

I was happy with NAPIT to be honest. Their customer service absolutely trounces NICEIC as they are keen to keep you happy and their website works! The NICEIC website is broken and won't allow you to make online payments towards your fee's etc. Also, their online shop is broken too! Can't order any logo's for the van, t-shirts....anything really. I've put in a support ticket but have had no reply from over 3 weeks ago so they certainly take their time getting back to you!!
I attempted to use their online certification software too but there doesn't seem to be a guide on how to efficiently use it (no problems in filling it in, just how to do it quickly) so I abandoned that and went back to my trusty EasyCert software that I've been happily using for some years now.

As far as the assessment are concerned, the NAPIT assessor was certainly a LOT more relaxed than the NICEIC guy. Was with the NAPIT guy for half a day but a full day with the NICEIC.
NICEIC guy was a lot more in depth as far as paperwork and compliance was concerned and wanted to see more variation with site work too. He was quite specific with what he wanted to see as far as Inspection & Testing was concerned too.

If you decide to go with NICEIC, be prepared to be waiting around for them to get the wheels in motion but, this will give you more time to prepare really. If you want to go on the Private Rented Scheme for landlord assessments, this is now a separate thing and no longer an "opt in" so you'll need your paperwork AGAIN for that.
Also, TrustMark, if you intend to go with those, that is also a separate thing and no longer "opt in" so it's paperwork AGAIN.

If you call NAPIT to change to NICEIC, just tell them you're going PAYE (don't say you're joining NICEIC) for a while and they'll offer to store your details on file for ÂŁ99 which will mean you can basically jump back into NAPIT without having to go through all the registration process all over again!
Might be worth considering if things don't go to plan with NICEIC.

Ultimately, NAPIT is the easier choice as they're much more customer focused and the assessments appear to be a bit more relaxed.
I only went with NICEIC as it was a requirement for a large contract I wanted to tender for. I'll stay with NICEIC now for the forseeable future.

Oh, and be prepared to pay double-----initial assessment fee of around ÂŁ600 then, if you pass, you'll then pay a joining fee of around a similar amount. It ain't cheap bud!!! :(
Really appreciate the detailed reply. Very useful thank you

Reply to Upcoming NICEIC Assessment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock