NICEIC Certification Scheme Upcoming NICEIC Assessment

Discuss Upcoming NICEIC Assessment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M-B-Electrical-Services

Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a quick question really.

I have recently decided to go from using NAPIT to NICEIC as my Certification Scheme Provider and my assessment is this coming Friday (still not had any contact from the assessor though)?
I'm a little nervous about it but am confident my paperwork and physical/actual work is up to standards.
I will be applying for the "approved contractor" status due to my work within the commercial and light industrial sectors.

Can anybody give any insight into their methods of assessment as opposed to the NAPIT guys?
I found the NAPIT fella very laid back but professional yet likeable and I'm hoping the same will be said about the NICEIC guy.

Mike.

As stupid as this going to sound; try youtube

The biggest takeaway I can see is prepare; Get all your paperwork in order, GET all the industry guidance docs (HSE docs, ESF docs etc), have your back office admin on point.

As cynical as this will sound; it is not in thier interest to fail you, think about it; you fail your assessment thrn thry effectively lose your custom, same goes for all the voluntary 'regulation' scams schemes.

As stupid as this going to sound; try youtube

The biggest takeaway I can see is prepare; Get all your paperwork in order, GET all the industry guidance docs (HSE docs, ESF docs etc), have your back office admin on point.

As cynical as this will sound; it is not in thier interest to fail you, think about it; you fail your assessment thrn thry effectively lose your custom, same goes for all the voluntary 'regulation' scams schemes.
Hi Lister,

Thanks for this, I have seen a few of these videos to be fair but I just thought I would ask the question that's all.
No harm in getting some first hand info off you guys. 👍

I have decided to take Thursday off to prepare just as a precaution. Because I've had no contact from the assessor and I can't seem to be able to get through to the assessment phone number, I'm wondering what jobs I need to try to organise access to.

I have a nice commercial job available at ta golf driving range I rewired last year so that'll be a great one but I'm unsure how far this guy will want to take it.

Hi Lister,

Thanks for this, I have seen a few of these videos to be fair but I just thought I would ask the question that's all.
No harm in getting some first hand info off you guys. 👍

I have decided to take Thursday off to prepare just as a precaution. Because I've had no contact from the assessor and I can't seem to be able to get through to the assessment phone number, I'm wondering what jobs I need to try to organise access to.

I have a nice commercial job available at ta golf driving range I rewired last year so that'll be a great one but I'm unsure how far this guy will want to take it.
That'll come in handy, warm them up by letting thrm beat you on the golf course... sneaky...I like it 🤣

Hi all,

Just a quick question really.

I have recently decided to go from using NAPIT to NICEIC as my Certification Scheme Provider and my assessment is this coming Friday (still not had any contact from the assessor though)?
I'm a little nervous about it but am confident my paperwork and physical/actual work is up to standards.
I will be applying for the "approved contractor" status due to my work within the commercial and light industrial sectors.

Can anybody give any insight into their methods of assessment as opposed to the NAPIT guys?
I found the NAPIT fella very laid back but professional yet likeable and I'm hoping the same will be said about the NICEIC guy.

Mike.
Can't answer for the Approved Contractor side, but from the Domestic Installer side I've found them laid back and definitely not out to catch you out. They want your money after all! (Though in my experience the assessors are not directly NICEIC staff so don't necessarily take that into account).

As long as they can tick the simple admin stuff, and there is nothing stupid on the jobs you show them, then I've never had a problem.

Proof read any certificates they will be looking at to check for any silly errors that have crept in.

Top tip is to have some questions or comments yourself and get into a technical discussion. Obviously not stuff that is simple, but maybe a job where you had to make a judgement as to how best to comply, or how to deal with an existing situation. It can make for some interesting discussions and helps to show some wider knowledge, not to mention it helps to fill up time they might otherwise be spending finding fault with something!

I've also been keeping an informal CPD file of sources that I follow to keep up to date - selected youtube channels, online training with companies, etc - shows that you are taking an interest and keeping your skills up to date.

Whether referencing this esteemed forum would have a positive or negative impact is for you to decide 😉

Can't answer for the Approved Contractor side, but from the Domestic Installer side I've found them laid back and definitely not out to catch you out. They want your money after all! (Though in my experience the assessors are not directly NICEIC staff so don't necessarily take that into account).

As long as they can tick the simple admin stuff, and there is nothing stupid on the jobs you show them, then I've never had a problem.

Proof read any certificates they will be looking at to check for any silly errors that have crept in.

Top tip is to have some questions or comments yourself and get into a technical discussion. Obviously not stuff that is simple, but maybe a job where you had to make a judgement as to how best to comply, or how to deal with an existing situation. It can make for some interesting discussions and helps to show some wider knowledge, not to mention it helps to fill up time they might otherwise be spending finding fault with something!

I've also been keeping an informal CPD file of sources that I follow to keep up to date - selected youtube channels, online training with companies, etc - shows that you are taking an interest and keeping your skills up to date.

Whether referencing this esteemed forum would have a positive or negative impact is for you to decide 😉
I'm hoping he is laid back to be fair, I'm a chilled out kind of person and don't tend to stress too much until the s**t really hits the fan! 🤓

I have all the paperwork side sorted I think, there will likely be one or two little things he pulls me on but I always ensure that my clients/customers have everything they legally need including any Part P notifications for domestics. I'm quite ---- about paperwork and always double check each document before it gets emailed. Takes me longer to get paperwork finished but at least I know that it is correct when I release it.

I've started doing risk assessments now as part of my day to day working regime just so I can get used to doing it more than anything else (hate risk assessments). That'll be a nice tick off him surely?

I think I'll have lots of questions for him what with the recent amendment 2 changes etc etc.

I'm always watching youtube videos about all things electrical and I have a playlist that I've had for a while now so I'll just show him that for any CPD he might mention.

hehehe....yeah, this forum and it's wisdom......that's why I don't post much as I've no wisdom to give!! 😆😆😂

So I still have not heard from anyone at the NICEIC regarding my assessment on Friday. Is this normal from these guys? When I was with NAPIT, the assessor rang me the week before to introduce himself and to go through a few helpful things with me beforehand.

I feel like, for the hundreds of pounds this is costing me, they should be contacting me to at least have some sort of chat first?

I do it for my clients, I call a few days before to go through the process for that particular job.

I find it odd that's all.

So I still have not heard from anyone at the NICEIC regarding my assessment on Friday. Is this normal from these guys? When I was with NAPIT, the assessor rang me the week before to introduce himself and to go through a few helpful things with me beforehand.

I feel like, for the hundreds of pounds this is costing me, they should be contacting me to at least have some sort of chat first?

I do it for my clients, I call a few days before to go through the process for that particular job.

I find it odd that's all.
Before lockdown I must admit I didn't get a call most years, apart from maybe once a day or two before.

They did contact in advance when they were remote, so that I could send them what I needed.

I had to cancel my latest booking to rearrange, but I get the impression the bookings are done by admin staff, not the assessors themselves. I know the assessors generally do 2 a day, morning and afternoon, so not sure how much time they have allocated to contact in advance.

I do agree that it would be nice to do it though, especially when it's your first NICEIC assessment.

From what I understand, NAPIT are pretty strong at assessments, so if you've been with them for a while I don't think you should have too much to worry about with your NICEIC one.

Before lockdown I must admit I didn't get a call most years, apart from maybe once a day or two before.

They did contact in advance when they were remote, so that I could send them what I needed.

I had to cancel my latest booking to rearrange, but I get the impression the bookings are done by admin staff, not the assessors themselves. I know the assessors generally do 2 a day, morning and afternoon, so not sure how much time they have allocated to contact in advance.

I do agree that it would be nice to do it though, especially when it's your first NICEIC assessment.

From what I understand, NAPIT are pretty strong at assessments, so if you've been with them for a while I don't think you should have too much to worry about with your NICEIC one.
Hi pal,

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

We'll just have to see won't we. I'll post back when the assessment is done. Hopefully, I don't drop a clanger...:D

Cheers,

Mike.

Got my assessment tomorrow. Only sent me a reminder text message this morning.
I find that quite offensive really. I can't believe that the actual person who is to assess you has not taken the time to call you and introduce himself and what he intends to achieve with his time with you.

I've still had no contact. Crazy when the cost for "membership" is in excess of £600......

Yes thought that myself. Not going to rock the boat. Find it a means to an end really. Boxes ticked and back to work Friday. Don’t use any of there services apart from notification for building control.
Yeah, agreed. Same for me really. I wouldn't bother with any of them if I didn't have to but these days, if you're not "accredited", you're not winning that tender. Sad but true.

Good luck tomorrow bud, if you get chance, please try to post here to give me a bit of insight into what's to be expected. 🤓

All went really well today. Had everything saved to one folder on laptop. Gs 38 electricity at work etc. Printed 3 test sheets of Hard copy’s for site visit. Really good. Just 2 electricians chatting that’s how I found it.
Excellent! He wasn't called Phil by any chance was he?

I'm glad it all went well for you pal. What sort of jobs did you select for him?
What did he ask you to do? A suit of tests etc?

A guy called Malcom. Just took him to some local work in town. An ev charger a hot tub supply and a new build industrial unit. Just general tests ze, r1 r2 end to end insulation resistance. Really not trying to trip you up
Thanks bud.

I've no idea why but I'm super nervous about it. Only been trading a year and been a spark for over 20 years but still, the pressure of running a business and making sure all your ducks are in a row is quite strong.

I'll be vaping my little head off every chance I get tomorrow! :D

Reply to Upcoming NICEIC Assessment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net