Discuss AM2E assessment fail. I am confused as to what the feedback on my failed area is in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all. I recently failed a section of my AM2E assessment. Passed 7/10 but failed on some silly things I'm confident of correcting second time round.

One thing that's got me is the 'Inspection & Testing' section. I failed every circuit with the following feedback

EARTH FAULT LOOP IMPEDENCE
'Correctly checking the motor circuit in accordance with Guidance Note 3'
'Correctly checking the safety circuit in accordance with Guidance Note 3' and so on..

Could anybody shed some light on what I may have missed here or what is required

Any feedback greatly appreciated

When I did my AM2, I had it drummed into me that I had to follow Guidance Note 3 carefully. So, did you follow the guidance in GN3 for checking the EFLI? The same thing was said when I did my test and inspection courses (C&G 2394 & 2395).

If you don't have Guidance Note 3, go and get a copy and read it carefully and then think about how you tested it during your assessment compared to what the book says.

Remembering that one of the purposes for the EFLI test is to ensure there is an earth at all points of the circuit... did you check and take a reading at the starter and then at the motor itself? Let's not forget that you don't have to measure EFLI... you can calculate it if it is easier/safer to do so. You're probably not going to want live conductors floating around at the motor, so maybe use R1+R2 + Zdb and calculate it? Also, I can't remember whether the motor was a 3 phase circuit or not... if it is, did you record the results for all three phases or did you just record the worst case?

Reply to AM2E assessment fail. I am confused as to what the feedback on my failed area is in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net