Discuss UPS voltage Rating Specs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Guys, In IT UPS back up systems is there a general upper voltage rating before the device will compensate for overvoltage or is it down to each manufacturers spec. Have been experiencing reports claiming they have been alerted of overvoltages. This I will need to check out. Many Thanks!

Depends on the system, some are preset by manufacturers and other can be set by the installer/customer.

I normally set mine to alert from 216 & 253 volts and disconnect <210 & >260 volts.

Need more info, make model, is there a clean supply and earth feeding the unit etc etc.

Also how old is the unit as they are known to fail.

Hi Guys, In IT UPS back up systems is there a general upper voltage rating before the device will compensate for overvoltage or is it down to each manufacturers spec. Have been experiencing reports claiming they have been alerted of overvoltages. This I will need to check out. Many Thanks!
Stick a AVR on the output of the UPs

Need more info, make model, is there a clean supply and earth feeding the unit etc etc.

Also how old is the unit as they are known to fail.
I will need to ask for more information tomorrow. They did send me a event list but never quoted any values of voltages before compensating. It was mentioned over the phone that it was 252 v which I said was in limits. This value was not documented in the report they sent. I do know the site has Solar which is what I suspect maybe a start. Thanks!

What size UP s are you speaking of?

An update now is that 2 companies have now experienced where the UPS is compensating or AVR is trimming for overvoltage periods. Turns out that the surge is only apparent in the evening after 10.30pm. They actually said that the alert of overvoltage was new to them & had never experienced it before.To sort the problem I decided to make a complaint to our Network operator regarding the voltages,who are very kindly fitting a voltage monitor in the main switch room , main intake to the business park, tomorrow.If after a week the voltages are 252v max peak then within limits will be the IT support teams problem & higher voltages the DNO’s. Did not think the Electricity Company would be so obliging . Thanks Guys!

I have had instances where the UPS’ have been the first alert to both an under voltage and over voltage scenario, however noted in both cases that they exaggerated the severity by up to 5 volts. In my experience, these conditions tend to recur at the same time of day, so you can put a calibrated meter on it and take accurate daily min/max readings to verify, to have something concrete to report to the DNO. The DNO will connect a high frequency data recorder for a few days to verify, then tap up or down at the local transformer.

Reply to UPS voltage Rating Specs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock