Discuss Use for 1.5mm shaver wire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SiJohn

DIY
Reaction score
Hello all. I have renovated my bathroom and have no use for the shaver/light unit.
I disconnected the unit and pulled the wire (1.5mm) into the attic where I put into a coffin box.
Is there any thing useful I can use this for in the attic?
For example can I use this supply for a lighting fixture in the attic?
Or even as to connect a socket to it.
As it’s only 1.5mm I am worried that it would not be suitable for a socket unless perhaps I put a fuse before the socket.
Any help appreciated thanks

Which circuit is it fed from? Would be ideal for a loft light if you need one.

Hello all. I have renovated my bathroom and have no use for the shaver/light unit.
I disconnected the unit and pulled the wire (1.5mm) into the attic where I put into a coffin box.
Is there any thing useful I can use this for in the attic?
For example can I use this supply for a lighting fixture in the attic?
Or even as to connect a socket to it.
As it’s only 1.5mm I am worried that it would not be suitable for a socket unless perhaps I put a fuse before the socket.
Any help appreciated thanks
1.5mm is only meant for lighting and lower power loads, so don't go turning it into a socket outlet. Lighting is probably the best idea if you haven't got any in the attic at the moment.

You can use it for a socket (the regs allow this) but only for low current use. The maximum current will usually be 6A.
If you take this option, put a label on it, to warn the other half not to plug in MIG welder!
I thought you could not have lighting and sockets on the same circuit unless a fused spur is fitted . Or putting a warning label make it ok ?

I thought you could not have lighting and sockets on the same circuit unless a fused spur is fitted . Or putting a warning label make it ok ?
Yes I thought that I could do it and put a fuse on it. I was thinking if used it for a socket outlet it would be for a light use device.

There’s no regulation that says a fused spur is needed. What would be the point?
For a (6A) radial circuit, the MCB is going to trip before the fuse will pop.
The notice is to remind the cleaners not to plug in the Dyson when they are vacuuming the loft.
The socket is often used for TV amp, etc.

There’s no regulation that says a fused spur is needed. What would be the point?
For a (6A) radial circuit, the MCB is going to trip before the fuse will pop.
The notice is to remind the cleaners not to plug in the Dyson when they are vacuuming the loft.
The socket is often used for TV amp, etc.
I wish more clients vacuumed the loft!

In a loft it could make sense, though the Regs seem to be gradually removing the ability of installers to use sense and label things, at least in domestic properties, or those used by 'unskilled persons', or whatever the latest phrase is. (Omission of RCD for a socket for a specified piece of equipment, for example)

Elsewhere in a house it's harder to guarantee that someone won't plug a 13A load into it whatever it says, and that wouldn't necessarily trip a 6A breaker unless it was on for a reasonable period. It probably wouldn't damage 1.5mm cable anyway practically, though with insulation etc it might well be derated quite a bit.

In the OP's case, if the existing circuit isn't RCD protected then to comply the new light or socket should have it, so could be run from an RCD FCU or use an RCD socket - or pretend it's always been there!

Putting a 13A socket on a lighting circuit is one of the regs that is so wrong. Particularly in a loft where plugging in a large load such as a cleaner will trip the lighting circuit plunging your loft into darkness. If it is not boarded the next problem is your foot through the ceiling. Labels don't really help as people don't read or if they do they think "it'll be OK."

My lecturer used use the phrase “engineering judgement”.....label it properly or put a fcu on it for use as a booster point, what’s the odds on someone putting a high load on a single socket in a loft? And assuming it has correct protection what’s the worst that’ll happen if someone did decide to pop up with an extension lead to run 2 heaters and a mig welder? ?

Putting a 13A socket on a lighting circuit is one of the regs that is so wrong.
Dear @GeorgeCooke (aka Winston, banalsheds)

please don’t start this diatribe on yet another forum. As you know very well, BS7671 specifically lists a BS1363 socket as one of the accessories that may be attached to a lighting radial circuit.
We all know that your view of things differs to the regulations (a document that you have admitted that you do not even possess).
If you want to change the regs, then get yourself on the Joint IET/BSI Technical Committee JPEL/64 and make your thinking appear in print.
otherwise it is what it is. Stop bleating.

The use of a BS1363 accessory on a lighting circuit was for the purpose of a luminaire coupler in other words the means of connecting a light fitting. One amendment of the 16th Ed removed BS1363 from the list but it was later reinstated. I see no issue with repurposing this cable for use as a socket provided suitable protection is in place even though it isn't the purpose as stated in BS7671.

And assuming it has correct protection what’s the worst that’ll happen if someone did decide to pop up with an extension lead to run 2 heaters and a mig welder? ?

The worst that can happen is the someone thinks what idiot put a 3a fuse in a FCU feeding a 13a socket and replaces it with a 13a one and then plugs in his equipment causing a blackout/

Dear @GeorgeCooke (aka Winston, banalsheds)

please don’t start this diatribe on yet another forum. As you know very well, BS7671 specifically lists a BS1363 socket as one of the accessories that may be attached to a lighting radial circuit.
We all know that your view of things differs to the regulations (a document that you have admitted that you do not even possess).
If you want to change the regs, then get yourself on the Joint IET/BSI Technical Committee JPEL/64 and make your thinking appear in print.
otherwise it is what it is. Stop bleating.
Don't know who Winston and banalsheds are but I have already explained that I know it is allowed and that it is a reg that is so wrong and why. To quote a term “engineering judgement”, use it and you will understand why it is so wrong.

@westword10. One amendment of the 16th Ed removed BS1363 from the list but it was later reinstated.

Didn't know that, wonder why it was reinstated

Don't know who Winston and banalsheds are but I have already explained that I know it is allowed and that it is a reg that is so wrong and why. To quote a term “engineering judgement”, use it and you will understand why it is so wrong.

@westword10. One amendment of the 16th Ed removed BS1363 from the list but it was later reinstated.

Didn't know that, wonder why it was reinstated
People complained as it was a common method for connecting warehouse lighting etc..

In domestic outside the loft I've occasionally installed the round pin 5A sockets/plugs for lamps (often on a dimmer) - though nothing to stop an ingenious idiot fitting that plug to their mig welder of course... At least it adds one extra layer of effort to put people off.

Reply to Use for 1.5mm shaver wire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net