• Thread starter millwall ken
  • Start date
  • Replies 192
  • Views 15K

Currently reading:
Useless fact of the day post!!!

Discuss Useless fact of the day post!!! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

millwall ken

Hi all,
Lets get a post going on 'The most useless fact of the day.' I'll kick us off with; Polar Bears can weight in at 800kgs. The weight of 10 men. Next?

In 1957 a battery was discovered in Bagdad. It was made by the Parthians, who ruled Bagdad from 250 B.C.E. to 224 C.E., and was used to electroplate silver.

Bulgaria had a team in the World Cup where all 11 players' last names ended with the letters OV.

The dimple effect under your nostrils are where the three head plates grew together and are unique to each person
Snout wrong with that fact

Last edited:
Tomato is a fruit, not a vegetable.

I'm not buying that
icon7.png

Any man who knows his onions will surely agree
icon11.png

The north pole is the only place on earth where you can travel directly south, then east, then north, and end up back where you started from.

It is impossible to lick you elbow.

90% of an Owl's head contains its eyes.

If you lean sideways against a wall with your arms by your side, you cant lift your leg out without falling over.

If you stare into the distance and bring both your forefingers together in front of your eyes, you can see a baked bean floating between them.

The entire population of world could stand on the Isle of Wight. The Isle of Wight is also the UK's largest parliamentary constituency by area.

The international space station has a sunset and sunrise every 90 minutes.

The Space shuttle orbits the earth upside down. The only place in the world where the space shuttle can be seen by eye from the ground when it is in orbit is Ascension Island.

NASA spent $10m developing a pen to work in zero gravity, the Russians used a pencil.

Cheers............Howard

im not sure about dogs looking up mate. I had a springer that would chase birds flying every time we were out. he could spot them from some distance
I'm not 100% about it either.
In fact it may have just been a line from 'Shaun of the Dead'.

Purple finches are not purple. They are about the size of a sparrow. The male finch is red/crimson. The female finch is brown/grey fleck. They lay green/blue eggs with spots in brown or black. Quite why their name is so inaccurate is lost in the mists of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
The north pole is the only place on earth where you can travel directly south, then east, then north, and end up back where you started from.

It is impossible to lick you elbow.

90% of an Owl's head contains its eyes.

If you lean sideways against a wall with your arms by your side, you cant lift your leg out without falling over.

If you stare into the distance and bring both your forefingers together in front of your eyes, you can see a baked bean floating between them.

The entire population of world could stand on the Isle of Wight. The Isle of Wight is also the UK's largest parliamentary constituency by area.

The international space station has a sunset and sunrise every 90 minutes.

The Space shuttle orbits the earth upside down. The only place in the world where the space shuttle can be seen by eye from the ground when it is in orbit is Ascension Island.

NASA spent $10m developing a pen to work in zero gravity, the Russians used a pencil.

Cheers............Howard
In 2008 I was listening to the Isle of Wight pop festival on the radio, one of the commentators made reference to the massed crowds there being so large, he speculated that the population of the world was assembled on the island. I've heard it said, and seen in print, the premise that 'the population of the world would fit on to Isle of Wight', often, stated as fact. Although my instinct and naturally sceptical mind thought this was unlikely, I had not considered trying to prove it one way or the other, but my interest was so aroused I just could not leave this alone.

At that moment, according to the statistics, there were 6,706,541,555 people on the planet [1], 28 per cent of whom are under the age of 15. That means 4,828,709,902 adults and 1,877,831,635 children [2]. Assuming that an average adult can stand on a rectangle of 0.2 square metres and an average child can stand on a rectangle of 0.1 square metres, we can say that adults require 965,741,980 square metres and children require 187,783,163 square metres. The total area needed is therefore 1,153,525,143 square metres or approximately 1,153 square kilometres. Sadly, the area of the Isle of Wight is only 380 square kilometres. [3] Therefore, we can conclude that it is only possible to fit approximately a third of the world's population on to the Isle of Wight.
So why do people say you can fit the world's population on to the Isle of Wight?
It might have something to do with the idea that they want to scale everything down to its essence, something easier to visualize perhaps. It's also true to say that there would have been a time, in the 19th century, when it would have been only just possible, after this 'tipping-point' increasingly impossible. After all, if we ignore the land reclaimed by the sea, then the island itself is a constant; the variable is the world's population.

1. United States of America Bureau of International Statistics, Data Base, World POP Clock Projection 28/6/08.
2. United Nations Population Reference Bureau, 2007 World Population Data Sheet.
3. Wikipedia , The Isle of Wight.

The word "queue" is the only word in the English language that is still pronounced the same way when the last four letters are removed.

The average lead pencil will draw a line 35 miles long or write approximately 50,000 English words.

If you wanted to find the letter “A” by spelling out numbers you’d have to go all the way to one thousand

what about " one hundred and one"?

sorry, that'll teach me to read all posts before posting myself. DOH!

Last edited:

Reply to Useless fact of the day post!!! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock