Discuss Using earth as neutral in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Don’t understand why there’s any debate?
521.5.1 Ferromagnetic enclosures: electromagnetic effects
The conductors of an AC circuit installed in a ferromagnetic enclosure shall be arranged so that all line conductors and the neutral conductor, if any, and the appropriate protective conductor are contained within the same enclosure.
Where such conductors enter a ferrous enclosure, they shall be arranged such that the conductors are only collectively surrounded by ferromagnetic material.
These requirements do not preclude the use of an additional protective conductor in parallel with the steel wire armouring of a cable where such is required to comply with the requirements of the appropriate regulations in Chapters 41 and 54. It is permitted for such an additional protective conductor to enter the ferrous enclosure individually.

So you could remove the ferrous gland plate and replace it with a non ferrous material

We’ve pulled in a 185 cable just and realised that we need a neutral. It has 4 cores, brown, black, grey and earth. Can we use the earth as a neutral if we shrink wrap it with neutral sleeve and then run an earth separate?
Yes. I can't see any Regs that preclude this.

Never heard of tri-rated flexible cable. There are rubber cables available in that size and if it is a long run someone has made a serious error.
Agree

Worth a read, I think:

Using Green/Yellow not as CPC - https://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/threads/using-green-yellow-not-as-cpc.35860/

Strictly speaking it would seem that over-sleeving is okay, but personally I'm on the side of those that would never do it - mostly due to the element of unexpected surprise that somebody maintaining the installation in the future might be confronted with.
It’s ok to sleeve the CPC in a multi core cable, but not if it’s a single core cable.

Reply to Using earth as neutral in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock