Search the forum,

Discuss Using economy 7 heater in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Nmw10

I moved into a new flat yesterday and turned on the storage heater economy 7 switch next to it. The light came on at night so I assumed it was heating up. However, this morning it wasn't warm. I had the input and output on 3 but it was freezing still.

Is there another switch that I need to turn on? Maybe near the boiler (there are 3 switches near the boiler- one for the immersion water heater, one for e7 water and a mysterious switch)?

Thank you in advance.

Do you mean the switch by the side of the heater?

If it is that switch (where the cable from switch goes to heater) i would say you have a thermal link or cut out gone, but could be other things.

Have you got any other heaters that you can put on tonight? If they come on you will know that it is that heater that is faulty.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^as above also!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Last edited:
Yes I turned on the switch by next to the storage heater. I have 2 and turned them both on but nothing from either.

I have just turned the input up to max. Thanks.

Do you think that the switch near the boiler is nothing related to the heating?

As above I would put the input to maximum and keep output on zero until you want the heat. But if you let too much out or cover the heater then you could trip the thermal cutout.

I moved into a new flat yesterday and turned on the storage heater economy 7 switch next to it. The light came on at night so I assumed it was heating up. However, this morning it wasn't warm. I had the input and output on 3 but it was freezing still.

Is there another switch that I need to turn on? Maybe near the boiler (there are 3 switches near the boiler- one for the immersion water heater, one for e7 water and a mysterious switch)?

Thank you in advance.

If your storage heater is coming on at night ie midnight----07:00 then fine now you have an input output dials so set them to 4 or midway go to bed and when you get up in the morning the heater should be warm/hot if not then yes the high temperature cut out could have tripped no why would this happen well wear and tear plus someone throwing a towel over the storage heater to dry this is a no no .Dont do what one of my customers did and switched the heater off when he went to bed as this defeats the purpose ie cheap electricity overnight charging .

Try this first also what is the make and model how old are they,

Thats what I did last night and they weren't warm at all this morning.*

The heaters are Creda slimline ones and are only 6 years old apparently.*

Im just really hoping it miraculously works tomorrow!*

If the switch has a neon, and it came on at the appropriate time, then you are getting power to the heater. There is a chance that the elements have gone, maybe gradually over time, and now there is just nothing to heat up. If you have the input on max and it is cold tomorrow then you will need to get an electrician in.

I think more like the high limit or control module but yes get an electrician in the other thing is how many storage heaters do you have and how many are working ie 2 out of 3

I think more like the high limit or control module but yes get an electrician in the other thing is how many storage heaters do you have and how many are working ie 2 out of 3

It could be a few things. I have been to a few where it has been all elements out and the owner says "It's funny but it has been cooler for the last year". Just my thoughts.

Reply to Using economy 7 heater in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net