Discuss Using existing cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm building a extension in the near future and have recently done a lot of work on my house. During the work, I installed a cable for the heating in my extension (runs from a JB near my boiler to where the extension would be). I'm worried about getting this cable 'signed off' as the cable is under the flooring etc. I'm wondering what my options would be when the time comes.

If I do the electrics myself then I think the building control would want to see the whole cable. Equally, I think electricians are also supposed to be able to see the whole cable to check it's installed correctly etc. Having said that, there will definitely be electricians that would do it.

I guess you can get the same problem when an electrician starts a job but is unable to finish it. What happens in these cases? This seems like a very stupid question, is this really the way it works?

How is it run under the floor? Buried in screed, under floorboards, wedged under laminate?

For someone to sign it off (and so take safety responsibility) they'd not only need access to cable ends for measurements but clear enough proof of appropriate cable installation, including any joints made in it. Personally I might accept this if you were to provide adequate photo and/or video evidence of the installed cable throughout the route (Assuming that it's now been covered up and can't be visually checked).
In the absence of this, and based on other factors, an inspector coming in cold might retain their opportunity to say "no".
Other ways are that building inspectors might (entirely their prerogative) accept an EICR not an EIC. I have used these before for other's works, and it provides an inspector ample opportunity to make very clear the limitations of their inspection. Building Control might not like it for their completion certificate because it can't certify the installation. An EICR in this circumstance could (should) clearly state by the inspector that the cable route and the now hidden manner of installation is uninspected. This puts the onus back onto YOU should the uninspected parts cause safety issues in the future.

For someone to sign it off (and so take safety responsibility) they'd not only need access to cable ends for measurements but clear enough proof of appropriate cable installation, including any joints made in it. Personally I might accept this if you were to provide adequate photo and/or video evidence of the installed cable throughout the route (Assuming that it's now been covered up and can't be visually checked).
In the absence of this, and based on other factors, an inspector coming in cold might retain their opportunity to say "no".
Other ways are that building inspectors might (entirely their prerogative) accept an EICR not an EIC. I have used these before for other's works, and it provides an inspector ample opportunity to make very clear the limitations of their inspection. Building Control might not like it for their completion certificate because it can't certify the installation. An EICR in this circumstance could (should) clearly state by the inspector that the cable route and the now hidden manner of installation is uninspected. This puts the onus back onto YOU should the uninspected parts cause safety issues in the future.

Thank you for the detailed reply. Unfortunately I didn't think of taking a picture but part of the cable happens to be visible in a photo that I have. I suspect most electricians would be happy with my description and by looking at it but I'm not sure what I'd do if building control want to see it.
[automerge]1575819217[/automerge]
How is it run under the floor? Buried in screed, under floorboards, wedged under laminate?

It's all done properly, through holes in joists and not buried in insulation etc.

I wouldn’t worry about it.
When you build the extension use a registered electrician, they will give you a certificate on completion of the works, just hand that into the LABC they won’t have a clue which cables are covered by it and which aren’t.

When you build the extension use a registered electrician, they will give you a certificate on completion of the works, just hand that into the LABC they won’t have a clue which cables are covered by it and which aren’t.

Thats highly unethical.

What would happen if an electrician did 1st fix (for example) but then couldn't/wouldn't come back to finish off? There's a chance that my extension may go 'on hold' for a bit, so is likely to take a few years. What can be done in this situation? Surely I wouldn't need to pull the building down, otherwise electricians could hold people to ransom?

What would happen if an electrician did 1st fix (for example) but then couldn't/wouldn't come back to finish off? There's a chance that my extension may go 'on hold' for a bit, so is likely to take a few years. What can be done in this situation? Surely I wouldn't need to pull the building down, otherwise electricians could hold people to ransom?
Then I suspect, you would need to involve your LBC to resolve this situation. It’s unlike loosing your builder, as each phase of the build is inspected by a BCO. An EICR might be required, for what has already been done, and then certification for the remaining install by the new electrician.
As you say, it must happen a lot, but I’ve never experienced it. Perhaps other members have.

What are you saying the heating cable he installed should be notified?
Bit OTT?

The OP is having an extension done, presumably with Building regs approval. The BI would inspect the extension at various stages. They do not inspect electrical works, they expect for those works to be installed & inspected as per Part P.

The cable in question has been installed by the OP, I believe. He’s not informed his LBC of his intention to install himself, or ask for a third party certifier.

Some are suggesting he just gloss over the fact, as it’s just one small piece of cable. Building Regs are statutory, so are those suggesting he breaks the law?

Reply to Using existing cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net