Discuss Using plastic glands on a metal board...arrggg in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dustydazzler

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
So this has been asked a few times but still not 100% clear on this

I have to add a cable to a an existing 17th ed board , all the existing cabling is rear entry but this isn’t possible for my new cable. So Im going to cut a 20mm hole in the bottom and use a 20mm plastic stuffing gland to run my new cable through...

any one see anything wrong with that ??

Or skip the compression gland and use 20mm tube to run up the wall?

I have to add a cable to a an existing 17th ed board , all the existing cabling is rear entry but this isn’t possible for my new cable. So Im going to cut a 20mm hole in the bottom and use a 20mm plastic stuffing gland to run my new cable through...

No (as in I don't see anything wrong with that) - I think there was a recent thread where it was agreed that the regulations don't state that connections to a board have to be non combustible, just that the board must be manufactured that way.

I think I've seen guidance from one or more of the schemes that suggests that connections to a board should maintain the integrity of the board, however it's fairly clear that the regs don't require it specifically (at least not yet - there is the IP rating of course, but that should be easily met with a 20mm stuffing gland on the bottom).

Wiska and BG (maybe others) do sell specific glands for various sizes twin and earth, which claim to be 'Fire-Retardant', and there are the fire rated grommets which I often use for existing knockouts because they are convenient, if you want to be sure noone will question it.

Last edited:
Personally I like the glands that take T&E as they provide much better mechanical support. But I think a rubber grommet of the correct size is still perfecltly acceptable for the bottom of the CU, but maybe most combinations would not meet the IP rating for the top of a CU.

No Mate not at all

Please with the fire rating malarkey, it’s irrelevant, it’s no different to installing a mains tails gland, the IP rating of the CU needs to be maintained, that’s it.

Reply to Using plastic glands on a metal board...arrggg in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net