Discuss Van - buy or lease in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Englishman

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
It's looking likely that I'll have to go self employed soon, and obviously with leaving employment, I need a van.

Currently drive a medium wheel base, high top Sprinter, which is perfect for my gammy back as I sit nice and high, and don't have to bend at all when in the back. The choice is now whether or not I buy or lease.

What's the general consensus?

Buy new and keep 10 years or buy 3-4 years old and keep 5-6 years

Leasing or PCP means you never own the asset and if you do more or less miles than the agreement you either get stung at the end or overpay for the term.

JMO

Buy new and keep 10 years or buy 3-4 years old and keep 5-6 years

Leasing or PCP means you never own the asset and if you do more or less miles than the agreement you either get stung at the end or overpay for the term.

JMO

100% agree with Murdoch. I was looking to buy a van. A guy at work advised me to borrow the money from the bank and pay for the van outright.

In future you can part exchange or do as you wish, also the intrest rate is lower than on finance. 4.59 is my intrest on the money i borrowed.

if just starting our as S/E, you need loads of stuff that costs money. e.g. mft and power tools. a van just gets you to the job. a 10 year old van costing 2 or 3 grand will get you there just as well as a 20K shiny new one, without all the hassle of duff electronics, dpf's etc. and huge servicing bills.

I was looking towards buying for the reasons mentioned, mainly the owning of an asset, and I'm also aware of how badly you get stung by finance companies when buying vehicles.

It's a fluid situation but I may use my impending unemployment as the push to actually go on my own properly. There is plenty of work about anyway, my back is an issue but that is something that can be dealt with in time, I'm just not sure I want to head into another term of employment with a pathetically substandard 26-8k a year.

I was looking towards buying for the reasons mentioned, mainly the owning of an asset, and I'm also aware of how badly you get stung by finance companies when buying vehicles.

It's a fluid situation but I may use my impending unemployment as the push to actually go on my own properly. There is plenty of work about anyway, my back is an issue but that is something that can be dealt with in time, I'm just not sure I want to head into another term of employment with a pathetically substandard 26-8k a year.

You'll need to be megger organised to beat that in your first year - remember no sick pay, no holiday pay, no pension..........

Oh I know mate, and that's down to the starting outlay, and that's something that you'll have to live with, but it'll be more than worth it.

In the condition I'm in, all of which they're responsible for, I could do without taking the plunge now, but I may have no choice....

as murdoch says, 1st year you'll be lucky to clear enough to pay the bills. that's why i suggested an older van. added bonus is that if you dent it, it's no big deal. mine got bent in september. woman driver ran into back of me while stopped in traffic. van cost me ÂŁ1500. her insurance paid me out ÂŁ2300. 2nd hand bumper ÂŁ40. tailgate repair about ÂŁ300. i'm now driving a van that cost me bugger all.

Oh I know mate, and that's down to the starting outlay, and that's something that you'll have to live with, but it'll be more than worth it.

In the condition I'm in, all of which they're responsible for, I could do without taking the plunge now, but I may have no choice....

What you will need is CASH in the bank to ensure you can pay suppliers when people pay you slowly!

as murdoch says, 1st year you'll be lucky to clear enough to pay the bills. that's why i suggested an older van. added bonus is that if you dent it, it's no big deal. mine got bent in september. woman driver ran into back of me while stopped in traffic. van cost me ÂŁ1500. her insurance paid me out ÂŁ2300. 2nd hand bumper ÂŁ40. tailgate repair about ÂŁ300. i'm now driving a van that cost me bugger all.
Where do I find one of these 'woman drivers' so I can get the same deal? Do you hire one for the smash? Surely they not letting them out on the roads now nilly willy? [emoji38]

they live amongst us. blocking the road for 20 minutes while the try to reverse park in a space that's only big enough for an artic., dropping a friend off at the hairdressers, but need a half hour of gossip with the car doors open and blocking passing traffic, double parking outside the school because their little monster can't walk 50 yards.

It's looking likely that I'll have to go self employed soon, and obviously with leaving employment, I need a van.

Currently drive a medium wheel base, high top Sprinter, which is perfect for my gammy back as I sit nice and high, and don't have to bend at all when in the back. The choice is now whether or not I buy or lease.

What's the general consensus?
If you do look at leasing look at Vanarama, Northgate and burntree.

I just brought a 2nd hand van and the way i financed it was i took out a credit card that has 27months intrest free on purchases so my ÂŁ4,000 new van costs me ÂŁ148 a month, much better than finance or a loan :cool:

Reply to Van - buy or lease in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net