Discuss Varilight Dimmer max loading in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, hope someone can advise. Ive just called Varilight helpline in regards to max loadings on their 300w trailing edge LED single gang dimmer. They tell me that I can have a maximum of x30 10w leds on the dimmer.

Most info out there regarding dimming LED suggests to divide the dimmers wattage by 10 to determine max number of led lamps; I put this to the guy at customer services and he says varilight dimmers are designed differently and can handle the x30 10w lamps. Can anyone confirm or reject this statement.

I never think its a good idea to load dimmers to max like this; the guy at helpline says the inrush of x 30 10w led's wont effect a 300w dimmer, im not so sure.

I think they have given you incorrect information. Your calculation of dividing by 10 is a common method, as you say divide the 300w by 10 to give a maximum led loading of 30w.

I think they have given you incorrect information. Your calculation of dividing by 10 is a common method, as you say divide the 300w by 10 to give a maximum led loading of 30w.

That was my thoughts also Westy, just that the guy at technical services seems adamant I could load it with 30 leds. Just wondered if anyone had done this and what the results were. Technology moving so fast now its a pain to keep up

If it's a vPro series, the datasheet for the JQP401W suggests a maximum of 10 LED lamps upto 120w.

I wouldn't worry too much about in-rush current as many of the Varilight dimmers use a soft start when the power is applied.

I had no end of problems on one job where we’d fitted total of 50 10w led split across multiple banks.
The led suppliers then put list of faulty fittings out.
I tried every single dinner mod and spoke with every single manufacturer.
Varilight told me not to put more than 75% led loaf in their mods. Which beggars belief that they sell them under the guise that they’re capable of more than is stated on the packaging.

How many LED's are you planning on adding in total on the circuit?

JCC have advice on the maximum numbers per circuit on their installation instructions

Thats 'cos they can't handle the latent warranty issues in a few years months time. :)

Hit, Nail and Head spring to mind ..............

JCC have lost me as an installer and I didn't see them at Elex today either - I wanted to have a word with them about their inability to provide warranty replacements a few months after discontinuing a product so whats going to happen in a couple of years????????

Hahah we tried zano. £50 dimmer and suppose to be the dogs do do. Didn’t work

Most of the sealed unit manufacturers have a compatibility list of dimmers with their products. I'd follow that routes when picking and choosing.

I've gone off sealed units nowadays, not that I'm installing anything now.

Reply to Varilight Dimmer max loading in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net