Discuss Velux KUX 220V to 24V transformer in the ceiling? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

. should not be a problem as long as cables are properly restrained and terminated, and accesibility is there.

I am not sure about accessibility, as the plan is to have it behind finished plasterboard. Would that be acceptable?
So if (or when) the transfomer eventually fails, will it be documented which section of plasterboard to smash open?

Can you not hide this transformer somewhere accessible, e.g. in a downlight hole, or behind a small hatch? It doesn't have to be close by to the window, provided any connections you need to extend are all done maintenance free.

Thank you for the reply!
I am not sure about accessibility, as the plan is to have it behind finished plasterboard. Would that be acceptable?
It's always going to be a bad ideal to basically bury a transformer in a stud wall / partition.

I doubt the connections on the transformer itself would meet maintenance free requirements.

There is also fire risks to consider.

@vadiro have you looked into the Sola powered alternative for the Velux, fitted one recently and its very good, rain sensor to automatically close if that occasions.

Velux themselves are very helpful if you are not sure what kit you need, just need the Velux widow reference number usually on the end of the lower part of the opening frame.

Thank you very much for the replies!

I am going to have several downlights installed, so it should be easy to have the transformer accessible from one of the downlights holes, but I understand that it would be more practical to have them somewhere easily accessible, like a wall.

Regarding the solar alternative, I was looking at it as well, but what's putting me off is the fact that the battery it's going to need replacement every 8 years or so.

How often do you change the battery in your TV remote and how long do the TV manufacturer say it should last?, if Velux say 8 years it will probably go on for 10/12.

Reply to Velux KUX 220V to 24V transformer in the ceiling? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net