Discuss Very high Zs reading in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Do check your settings on the meter and the battery level just in case.
Then try testing in your house as close to the origin as possible, without any switches, just the supply and see what reading you get, if it is still +40ohms then sounds like a leads or meter problem.
What reading do you get on testing resistance on the leads?

I have spent the last 2 days going through the entire house checking and testing and putting right some very sorry wiring expecially on the R2 side of things. I am happy with all of the wiring and the results that I have had on the continuity and resistance side of things. it is this very high Zs I can't seem to fathom out. The RCD is a Hager.

I have just tested at the terminals of the same socket with my 3 test leads and am now getting 0.01 ohms and 23.00 Ka.

Change your plug tester unit!
But try a few contiuity tests through the unit first and see that there is not dirt in the connections or bent pins from dragging around in your tool bag.

Edit
No hang on 0.01ohms sounds a bit low for a standard value, could be, but 23kA is too high for a domestic CU.

Gentlemen, thankyou for your time and patience. I will try again with just my probes and see what I get. Just one other question; why does a main switch RCD trip whwn carrying out Zs testing? i had one the other day, another empty house and need to go back to sort it.
Kind regards.

Post #10... :lol:

Have you got a 'no trip' setting on your MFT?

When testing Zs a current of about 20A is used to test the resistance, this will trip an RCD (and possibly a 6A MCB), no trip or trip lock limits the current to 15mA or so but may give a different reading.

I don't think some of my posts are being sent. I have tried my three probes at my socket terminals and am getting 0.01ohms with a PEFC of 24Ka. So I think the problem is solved.
Just one more thing; I had a RCD main swith ch trip on me whilst carrying out Zs test the other day. I need to go back and sort it ( It's an empty house) What could be causing the RCD main switch to trip? I was using my plug adapter again>
Many thanks.

I would still be worrying with those results.

0.01ohms for ZS??

24Ka ???

Wouldn't like to be in that house when that kind of fault current flows.

Your meter sounds f***ed - did they cock up the calibration?

something is definitely wrong here. to get a Zs of 0.01, you would have to have a -ve value for R1+R2 .l try and borrow another MFT.

Reply to Very high Zs reading in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock