Search the forum,

Discuss Very odd problem what do you think ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Did you do a Zs at a socket in the garage? If the L-E really are reversed I would have expected your MFT to complain.

When a tester says line and earth reversed the comparative voltages are being measured and when you have a situation where this reversal is unlikely, as in your case, it is useful to note that the same comparative voltages would be measured if the outgoing neutral from the RCD were disconnected and there was a load connected at the end of circuit.
At the garage Line-earth would be 230V, Line-Neutral would be both the same at 230V (as the load would not drop voltage) and so the pd would be 0V, Neutral-Earth would read 230V because the Neutral is at 230V. These are the potential differences you would measure if Line and earth were reversed.
So in your case I would expect the original RCD had failed and that the neutral connection on the outgoing side of the new RCD is faulty to cause the symptoms you describe.

Brilliant Richard ! Exactly what I was posting at the same time although your version is far better but you've confirmed my suspicions ! Thanks very much. :)

Yeah Richard summed up the likely issue in my view. Test across the RCD itself to confirm.

I have had countless issues with icky BG RCDs I refuse to use them, or their boards, anymore.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, especially Richard !:) I fitted the replacement this morning and all was well. It operates in 8.8ms on both x1 and x5 tests and trips out at 27ma on the ramp test .
I felt confident enough to offer the customer my extended 48 hour guarantee [rather than standard 24 hr] in exchange for another cuppa.:D

I’ve had multiple BG rcd fused spurs fail in the past with the same issue. No continuity on the neutral poles of the unit. I had at least 4 faulty units within the space of a few months a couple of years ago! I refuse to fit them now! At the time I thought they were a bargain at £15 or so from screwfix but they are absolute rubbish in my opinion.

I’ve had multiple BG rcd fused spurs fail in the past with the same issue. No continuity on the neutral poles of the unit. I had at least 4 faulty units within the space of a few months a couple of years ago! I refuse to fit them now! At the time I thought they were a bargain at £15 or so from screwfix but they are absolute rubbish in my opinion.
There was also a run of the same brand's two pole SFU which had a pole not working...very anti-euro...

Reply to Very odd problem what do you think ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net