Discuss Little mystery that's bugging me in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

timhoward

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
A BG fused connection unit, with neon.
A boiler.
Fuse out. Spur switched off.

I was checking polarity after a colleague had 2nd fixed it and without thinking chose the load N not the supply N.
This led to discovering:
120v between Supply Live and Load N
120v between Supply Live and Load Live

I tried his 2 pole tester, same except that one said 50v.

Look at boiler end, all fine.
The strangeness stops when I disconnect earth at the boiler.

IR tests L-E and N-E at boiler (at 50v) were >99M

Should I conclude that there's are very very high resistance L to E and N to E paths inside the boiler and yet the impedance is low enough to light up a tester, or am I missing something embarrassingly basic?!
Thanks

1703026504215.png
1703026525246.png

Another possible explanation is that if the boiler has any sort of traditional interference filter in the mains input, this will lead to the 120V effect, as there is a capacitative divider across the mains, with the centre point earthed. This has cropped up on previous posts here with other appliances. It depends a bit on the impedance of the measuring device as to what voltage you see, but with high impedance you will get half mains voltage across each CY capacitor.
IMG_0413.jpeg

Thanks, both of you!
The filter concept was vaguely in my mind but I’ve never been told the reason or seen a diagram before.

Reply to Little mystery that's bugging me in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi everyone. Hopefully someone can help with a little mystery i had today. The issue is fixed but I want to understand what was going on to help...
Replies
Views
A silly fault in a circuit only 4m long is currently eluding me! This is ECIR remedials of a landlords supply in a block of flats. Circuit 2 =...
Replies
Views
Over the last few days, I have stumbled across a number of threads that seem to point to a prevalent misunderstanding. Either that, or I have been...
Replies
Views
90s house electric issues continues 🥲 So after getting some good advice here I've managed to sort out some of the heating issues so thank you...
Replies
Views
I'm practising EICRs on friendly locations as I'm still in training - technically done my 2391-52 but frankly need loads more practise. I've just...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock