Discuss video signal repeater? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a question /query from a friend of mine who is a soldier as follows:

"I'm trying to get a live feed from an armoured vehicle to a smart device. I used my tablet in the classroom but I'm trying to see if I can do it between two moving vehicles. Only problem is wifi will only read about 40 metres and that's above armour. "
have an of you got any suggestions of a kind of repeater system or something similar ?

This will be a hard one to solve because even a booster will need to get its signal out somehow, you could always open a hatch but that defeats the whole concept of an armoured vehicle. If it was me having a go and I don't know how viable it would be, I would stick a bit of wire to each device and stick the end out outside somehow and see if that improves things by getting the signal at least some of the way outside the vehicle its in, creating a flexible Ariel kind of thing.

Bit of thin insulated wire cut to suit and stuck on the device with tape or what ever and trail the other end outside if possible, it may work or may not, may not even be allowed but its all I can think of.

that was my thought .
a repeating device would have to be externally mounted.
i does such a thing exist ?
it would need a cable link to the inside maybe
i know theres a lot more tech savvy guys on here so,put it to the collective mind

Its more of an electronics problem than and electrical one, I'm experienced in both fields so its your lucky day :p

There are signal boosters, most common ones are usually called wifi extenders or repeaters but the same problem will exist, the signal no matter if its boosted will need to escape the shielding of the vehicles, they are in effect acting as Faraday cages and either preventing the signal leaving or reducing it to an unusable degree. Bear In mind that a military vehicle may well be designed so it is resilient to electromagnetic influences for various reasons, if that's the case then its going to very difficult to find a solution.

This is the sort of problem that really needs someone on site to see the problem and try to solve it to be honest.
--
[automerge]1576137105[/automerge]
I would suggest trying my first suggestion first, wrap wire around or onto each device and put the other end outside somehow and see if it improves the signal, if it does then you know the signal can be improved at no cost, then you can move on to a better solution such as a repeater or booster but you have to get that signal outside somehow.

Failing that, get a long cable and go old school ! :p

Last edited:
Hi, I worked on AFV432 for 7 years and I am also experienced in video systems and video transmission systems. In my opinion you are not going to find a successful solution to this issue as you not only need to get a good wifi signal but also some form of network video codec device which will decode the video signals. We have had some success over distance with products from the Extron Sharelink 250 series but you will still have the physical problem of the the armour. Sorry for the less than positive comment

My only thoughts would be,these vehicles must have external means of transmitting,and,would any additional devices,affect the fitted systems?

If it is just for facebook and amusing pictures of cats...surely,the MOD would already have it covered :)

Reply to video signal repeater? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net