Discuss View image at your own discretion in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
What wound anyone recommend to repair the exposed single insulation from the thermo plastic conductors on x14 electrical meters?
Code 2 on EICR due to storage of goods in a large room might bash into the basic insulation and cause a gigmatic explosion.

Is there an insulating material to use?

View image at your own discretion 629CE8D7-1C32-4C59-97D0-7CF2552DA874 - EletriciansForums.net

What wound anyone recommend to repair the exposed single insulation from the thermo plastic conductors on x14 electrical meters?
Code 2 on EICR due to storage of goods in a large room might bash into the basic insulation and cause a gigmatic explosion.

View attachment 49393
What is a gigmatic explosion?:tongue::tongue:

i have had this problem loads

Just get a new peice of 25/16mm whatever it is, double insulated, strip 2x two inch bits off it, then smear a little vaseline or talc over your problem conductors(obviously remove the tape first)and push the insulation on the end, it will go on with a little patience, clean them up and re install

You do however still have an issue with you trunking IP rating

So maybe just drop the meters as said, and buy yourself a pack of seals from ebay

Last edited:
Electric meters should be accessible so items should not be anywhere near them. The problem seems to be the lack of double insulation on the outgoing tails. These should be replaced. Can you get a photo of the whole meter installation?

Last edited:

View attachment 49393
Either drop the meter onto the trunking, or fit some containment around the cables.
The other remedies although thoughtful and ingenious will not in my opinion reinstate the Mechanical protection qualities of the cables, all clever ideas but non compliant as the Mech protection will not be continuous around the cables

Just put a short section of trunking between the meter and the existing trunking to fill the gap, if installed lid to wall the lid can be slid behind the tails and the trunking clipped over the top.
i'd modify that slightly. screw trunking lid to wall, then with suitable "u" shaped cut-outs for the cables, clip the trunking onto the secured lid. (this is where the hammer comes int play).

I've had this problem,
I raised the meter slightly and put a pvc box between the trunking and the meter, if you get the soft moulded plastic ones you can remove a section of plastic from the top and bottom of the box (multitool works well) and pass the meter tails through the box, when done you can just put a twin blank on.

Reply to View image at your own discretion in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock