Discuss Voltage in the cpc in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
So had a call out last night to a house late night the lights had all tripped.
Had 2 lighting circuits in one breaker one with a dead short on it and the other is fine.

While i was there I also discovered there was 110v in one leg only of a cpc serving a final ring circuit but its not tripping the mcb I have to go back and go through it all has anyone come across this before and found it was something stupidly simple before I start breaking down every part of the circuit

110V between the cpc and what?
measured with what type of tester?
Are you sure the voltage is real and not a phantom?
between the earth conductor and the main earth, the live conductor to earth and neutral to earth. tested with a 1662 fluke multi functional tester calibrated and i checked it about 5 times

As @littlespark says,
It looks like your ring is either not a ring or there is a break in it.
First check out the circuit whilst it is dead and repair the break in the ring continuity.
Whilst doing this, you might even find the reason for the voltage on cpc.
I am thinking it could be a mouse, a nail or other cable damage.

Finally worth considering, was there anything plugged into the circuit, some earth leakage from a pc could raise the cpc voltage.

Socket testers left plugged in can give rise to some strange readings when testing.

Also, you should not be disconnecting the cpc of a circuit that is energised. Any class 1 device plugged in can become lethal if there is a fault on the circuit.

That section of CPC is floating; there must be at least 2 breaks as it should be connected at both ends. Any floating CPC will tend to take up a voltage somwhere between 0 and 230V from earth, due to the potential divider formed by its stray capacitance to the line and neutral conductors. Often it will be somewhat less than half the line volts as there's also capacitance to surrounding earth. If appliances with delta suppression caps are connected, it may be almost exactly half.

between the earth conductor and the main earth, the live conductor to earth and neutral to earth. tested with a 1662 fluke multi functional tester calibrated and i checked it about 5 times

Test it again with an approved voltage indicator or a meter which ignores phantom voltages.
As far as I know an MFT will show a phantom voltage the same as a multimeter.

Reply to Voltage in the cpc in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock