Discuss Voltage on gas meter in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Not been on for long while, so hello again, but just walked in and got a call, person had gas leak, whilst being repaired they tested gas meter and had. 230v from live to gas meter. Disconnected sup bonding and still had 230.
It’s TT system, anyone came across before.

agrree. sounds right.

Haven’t been yet, but do know it has RCD.
My guess is line to earth short, supplementary and main bonding in place. Massively high Ze (or Ra?) or faulty RCD.
Also Have seen voltage on the supply side of the gas meter before only present when meter disconnected must have been backfed from someone else’s bonding. Sorted with a quick bond from internal pipe work to the supply pipe before the Flexi.

It should have 230v between live and it, I can't see what the problem is here. Tell then to stick to their own job they are clearly clueless

First of all proper testing ios needed,
Is this real voltage or just ghost voltage ?
Try turning off breakers one by one
which circuit it originates from will soon become apparant.

I have it on good authority,that you can get the old volt-pen glowing,on the gas meter,by disconnecting the earth,at the MET...

This may cause the uninformed customer,to be prompted,to sign up to a financed 7 grand rewire...

Of course,this means putting at risk,those in the property,if only temporarily...and i'm not sure if technician/salesman,could be put under enough pressure,to consider this as a strategy...

The above is certainly not aimed at the OP,but at other,larger players in the game :rolleyes:

Got round, TT earth, Ze 1.44ohms, rcd working, no fault found, customer also had uk power newtworks round they found nothing, the gas meter fairly close to tails, must just be induced voltage their pens picking up but they still won’t re connect gas.

Got round, TT earth, Ze 1.44ohms, rcd working, no fault found, customer also had uk power newtworks round they found nothing, the gas meter fairly close to tails, must just be induced voltage their pens picking up but they still won’t re connect gas.
Tell the Divs they need proper test equipment and a proper electrician to tell them what's what

First of all proper testing ios needed,
Is this real voltage or just ghost voltage ?
Try turning off breakers one by one
which circuit it originates from will soon become apparant.
I believe it’s ghost voltage as with all breakers off their pen still lights up. They won’t give any reasoning to why they won’t re-connect just say they are not allowed.

Reply to Voltage on gas meter in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock