Discuss Voltage Stick Advice in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I didn't edit the post as such, but you debunk one but not another

I haven't 'debunked' any product, but simply highlighted issues that may arise when personally importing goods of unknown quality, which are poorly advertised.

The other indicator is from UNI-T and, while I can't comment on it's reliability, I see no reason to question a product which is manufactured to known standards, by an established company and sold through a distribution network that bears a measure of responsibility to ensure it is fit for purpose.

Is there anything else I can help to clarify?

I haven't 'debunked' any product, but simply highlighted issues that may arise when personally importing goods of unknown quality, which are poorly advertised.

The other indicator is from UNI-T and, while I can't comment on it's reliability, I see no reason to question a product which is manufactured to known standards, by an established company and sold through a distribution network that bears a measure of responsibility to ensure it is fit for purpose.

Is there anything else I can help to clarify?

After you looked them up, you mean

Obviously, you ensured the one you have promoted complies.
Interesting. According to UNI-T, the product is discontinued, but as you have discovered, is available on ebay from chinese vendors. Looks identical to the one I have.

Perhaps you can tell us all about what standards non contact voltage indicators should comply with, how to ensure that a product does comply with said standards, and what dangers physical or legal could result from using a non compliant product.. Because I haven't a clue, and I couldn't give a monkey's.

Interesting. According to UNI-T, the product is discontinued, but as you have discovered, is available on ebay from chinese vendors. Looks identical to the one I have.

Perhaps you can tell us all about what standards non contact voltage indicators should comply with, how to ensure that a product does comply with said standards, and what dangers physical or legal could result from using a non compliant product.. Because I haven't a clue, and I couldn't give a monkey's.

Question passed to nicebutdim.

After you looked them up, you mean
If that's what I'd meant, I'd have posted as much.

UNI-T are a fairly well known brand, albeit at the budget end of the market, with some of their products offered by a well known UK distributor of electronic products - no need to look them up. What I didn't realise, and didn't look at due to it being a known brand, was the fact that these are sold on ebay from China (as @Pretty Mouth points out). These may be old stock or they may be counterfeit, but buying directly from overseas means you bear sole responsibility for any issues which may arise from the product. As such, I wouldn't be inclined to reccomend buying any voltage detector from overseas, unless the manufacturer offers a global warranty.

I've no idea what standard non-contact voltage testers should meet, which is why I haven't suggested any.

What I did refer to was 'manufacturing standards', meaning quality control. I even made an effort at clarifying this with the comment "Perhaps they're great or perhaps quality varies wildly from one to the next".

I can definitely say stay away from the LAP ones (normally good advice these days generally).- When the batteries get low the torch works, but the voltage detection bit doesn't - or rather it does, because the power light goes off because of the drain, rather than the end glowing red as is meant to happen - so if you know how to intrepret it then maybe it just about meets its requirements.

Fluke 1AC has never let me down and haven't yet had to change the batteries in a couple of years of regular use. It also flashes while on so you can be sure it is powered. But any of the well known brands such as Martindale, Kewtech, Fluke, Megger, Di-Log, TIS, etc should be fine.

Seems they even do proving units for them now, if you really want to go belt and braces, though that seems

Last edited:
I've no idea what standard non-contact voltage testers should meet, which is why I haven't suggested any.

What I did refer to was 'manufacturing standards', meaning quality control. I even made an effort at clarifying this with the comment "Perhaps they're great or perhaps quality varies wildly from one to the next".

According to the instructions, my Fluke 1AC complies to:

Complies with EN 61010-1 2nd Edition, EN 61326 EMC to 1000 V CAT IV
Complies with UL61010, CSA C22.2 No. 1010-1

but no idea what requirements that means it meets....

The Dl-Log 107 seems a decent price, and has variable detection down to 24V - and complies with EN 61010-1 EN 61010-2-030 EN 61326-1 EN 61326-2-2 LVD & EMC (for what it's worth without having copies of all those)

I have a battered Fluke 1AC. I've looked at several of the newer options from different manufacturers, and some have interesting and useful features, but that old Fluke has never let me down and I'm comfortable with how it works.

Having just looked at Fluke's data sheet for the 1AC, I note that they list several standards to which it is manufactured.

Edit: I see @Dartlec also looked at that data sheet while I was typing 😄

The Dl-Log 107 seems a decent price, and has variable detection down to 24V - and complies with EN 61010-1 EN 61010-2-030 EN 61326-1 EN 61326-2-2 LVD & EMC (for what it's worth without having copies of all those)

I'd looked at the Martindale NC4, Megger VF5 and Dilog DL107, which all work in and around the same range of voltages. Maybe some day I'll buy that well priced Dilog indicator, but today is not that day.

Reply to Voltage Stick Advice in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock