Discuss VR - Warning! - Adult content ahead in the Gaming Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Alas, with my internet speeds I'm limited to 2D lo-res ----.

You say the ---- industry is putting big bucks into it but isn't the VR technology a spin off from the gaming industry?

Alas, with my internet speeds I'm limited to 2D lo-res ----.

You say the ---- industry is putting big bucks into it but isn't the VR technology a spin off from the gaming industry?

The ---- industry invested a lot over the years in to high speed streaming, cam technology but the main technology they pushed was pay per view and and online payments system as well as spam and peer to peer networks.

The ---- industry swayed the betamax / VHS wars, the ---- industry accelerated the DVD production market, the ---- industry fueled early internet development, so I'm not surprised its into VR

The only VR I've seen so far has been at a site induction for a power station. I found it interesting (if you can class an induction as interesting!) in the way you could look around as if you were there but I also found it a bit disorientating. Some people found they felt sick watching it. That wasn't top quality kit though. The thought of 3D ---- does sound a lot more interesting than a site induction

It is an infant technology, when you get your own headset like a PSVR for example, you have to set it up to your particular field view IE the distance between your pupils, not doing this or getting it wrong can cause eye strain and blurry image etc.
The issue with first experience VR's is whether you are stationary in the VR world or moving, where you move yourself or the VR has you in some sort of motion it can become extremely disorientating as your head sees one thing but your body perceives the exact opposite.
I dived into a VR space shooter game for a few hours when I first got it, it was really amazing, like been inside an X-wing and flying it for real, after removing the headset I felt sick and dizzy for several hours as I had just told my brain of 40yrs life experience it was thinking totally wrong about how I experience reality.
This is though a temporary effect, you quickly build a resistance to it and thus it no longer effects you but having said that, if the software is poor or the stream juttery and/or if it moves you around too fast in the VR it can give you a temporary ill feeling but the industry is waking up to this and realising where the limits are the more that users join the tech and the more feedback they receive.

How the mind actually works can be used to an advantage especially in VR games or special effects in VR, seeing a floating cgi image move at you like say a sign then it what seem like it passes through you it give you some very weird sensations, you can feel the object pass through you in like a imaginary pressure going through your chest, even seeing a knife plunged into your hand can for some people give then a phantom pain.

If seeing a knife in your hand could give some people phantom pain could it lead to much worse ? If someone gets killed in the game and the VR experience was so real could it lead to death? I would imagine VR ---- could lead to something else - hmmmmm I really must get myself one of these 3d things

Bloody hell, forgot about this thread, lol

The trick is is to have a open minded spouse or don't have the TV on the same channel as your VR set, that is the beauty of PS4 VR, you can use it while the TV is on any other channel because the visuals are wrapped around your head.

@darkwood i feel that I need to re post on this thread as I was given the VR experience of Space pirate training by my nephew (22) with his PC set up and Oculus rift.
An amazing and very appreciated experience of what it’s all about. The wrap around immersion is phenomenal, the use of the hand triggers and what they can be used for was awesome.
I can understand, when this thread started regarding where the R+D funding for this technology came from and what it can be used for and, nefarious though it might be, this technology can be used for so much good/entertainment.
For 1/2 a day I concidered buying an Oculus Go but having experienced the rift and it’s PC’d power and useability, I’ve decided that I’ll hold on for a couple of years until the tech doesn’t need the PC for the best experience.
I was very glad to have had the hour or so experiencing it.
Life is rich!

So , help me out what is needed to view it, basically a few years ago the missus bought me a vr headset for Xmas, it worked via putting my Samsung phone in it and downloading oculus.
I sampled a few basic apps , shark cage, the circus one and a few others. I got bored pretty quick, so how as it advanced and how do you use it now or is it the same as before , IE mobile phone in head set.

For the true 6 point of movement type thing where the hand controllers are your point of being picked up by two sensors placed around you.
The one I tried was tethered to a PC with a gaming video card and high speed powerful RAM (you know!)
This is where the experience differs from the ‘gear VR’ that you have which I guess is nothing more than a TV up close in 3D
The PC VR is where you can turn around, look up look down peer over the edge of a cliff and crouch under things. You can pick things up with your hands , hold and fire two guns, archery bow, punch and stab! if you want to!
This set up with the computer would probably cost you £2k but if you had the good computer in the beginning then the Oculus rift kit will cost £360 which is pretty fabulous.
There is the Oculus Go which doesn’t need a computer and has all the computery bits in the headset BUT it doesn’t have the 6 points thing so doesn’t pick up your movement of body. You can look around, it only has one controller so you can carry gun or sword, you can’t grip or pick up stuff! but all in that’ll cost you £200 - you can watch Netflix on it and games but it’s not the true true experience so I’ll wait.

You will get very different experiences dependent on the equipment and the cost of them.
I have the headkit for my Galaxy 8 and the PS4 set up.

With the phone options you really are just a passenger in a VR experience and it is somewhat limiting although with a decent headset and powerful phone it does match quality of other equipment like the PS4.

However!.. when you first are introduced to VR it is often a very basic easy on the mind experience designed to allow you the experience while not making you dizzy or sick, once you get used to these experiences which are usually just a extremely slow passage through a VR world you can step up the game on interactive VR kits.

The first time I jumped in an X-Wing fighter and had my wingman talking over the com was awe inspiring, this also was just a passenger VR experience but when I got hold of a game called EVE: Valkyrie Warzone then I was hooked, been able to control where you are, what you are doing and also bringing in parts of your sensory system you just don't use on a standard PC or TV 2D game blew my mind...

The first time been launched down a spaceship launch tube was a real experience I still now 2 yrs later get a buzz from, its so immersive because you are inside your space craft, car etc, you can accurately use surround sound to be attracted to look in a particular direction or simply hear where the enemy is, and your peripheral vision can be vital to catch say a explosion or movement out of the corner of your eye. Even after all this nothing compares to the sheer immersion especially if you are in a horror game and you hear a noise behind you, you genuinely feel threatened and don't get me going on the jump scares ... I been through more pairs of undies playing Resident Evil 7 VR than I like to mention, it a great game set in the relative safety of your living room but once your inside the game then your sensors and perception is truly heightened.

I realise this is all first Gen' experiences but given what this can do I truly cannot wait for 4k gaming and Ultra HD VR that isn't too far away, especially with leaks on the PS5 giving insight to its VR capabilities :).

I've just found mine, it is the Samsung gear vr headset. However I've just tried putting my s8+ in and it doesn't fit, I'm guessing it's because j used it with the s7 which had a different charging port. Can you buy different adaptors.

My S8 fits in ok but it came with it, I believe they have 2 phone size settings and you can get an adaptor if its not the same because it says on the box that its compatible from the S6 upwards.

Reply to VR - Warning! - Adult content ahead in the Gaming Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock