Discuss VW Transporter questions in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
I’ve just bought an 18 plate transporter T6. Got a few questions.

1. aux socket on all the time. Any way to change this to through the ignition? I’m worried I leave the plug in dash cam on all night and it drains the battery.

2. aux socket in rear space. Can I add an additional aux socket for charging my battery floodlight and other things. If I take it from the interior lamps supply, will it cope with the load?

3. how hard is it to add a reversing parking sensor?

4. how hard is it to add a reversing camera? Would it be easier installing a Bluetooth or rf version?

1. I doubt a low voltage item like a dash cam would drain a van battery.

2. I'd have thought you would spur from the cigarette lighter/power socket.

3. if you look on ebay you'll find reverse sensors that work by jamming a cable into the reversing light socket; jammed in by the blub. So when the bulb comes on the reverse sensors come on.

4. Reversing sensor kits often come with a small dremel hole cutter tool so you can precisely cut out the holes in your bumper to the correct size although any self-adhesive bits are probably not to be trusted so use your own means to permanently affix anything.

agree with above. as for reversing camera, i fitted a Sony head unit (bluetooth to provide hands free phone) and a reversing camera connected to the unit. rather than power the camera fron the reversing lights, i powered it from the rear screen demister as that supply is already in the tailgate. , so it also doubles as a secondary rear view mirror.

That’s what I did in the old van, had the camera on all the time so I could check loads in trailer while driving. I could run the signal cable through the van, under the ply as there was no bulkhead. This transporter has a plastic bulkhead, and I don’t really want to drill through it, hence the suggestion of a possible Bluetooth or rf camera.
The radio already has BT but the screen is pretty small. I might get a new head unit anyway.

I’ve already got a 3 way adapter plugged into the 12v socket for dash cam, phone charger... so all that left powered overnight, or for a day or two could drain the battery?

for all the power that might be needed in the back, I’ll just come off the interior lights. I might put in extra LED lighting while I’m there

These things are converted to campers easy enough. You think there would be a cable route through.

Cable route most vehicles is up the A pillar and along the reinforced corner. Run cables many times this way.
Cable rods are useful.

I believe most modern vehicles have sensing circuits so that if you leave a load plugged in they will shut down before the battery gets depleted enough to prevent starting.
I have 2 outlets (i used to call them cigarette lighter sockets but that's a no-no these days) in my car, and they are powered all the time even when the ignition is off. I try not to leave stuff plugged in, but my two small devices use so little current that they can stay plugged in overnight and longer with no problem. However, a small cooler, which has a higher drain, will be disconnected if left in for more than 3 hours approximately.

I believe most modern vehicles have sensing circuits so that if you leave a load plugged in they will shut down before the battery gets depleted enough to prevent starting.
I have 2 outlets (i used to call them cigarette lighter sockets but that's a no-no these days) in my car, and they are powered all the time even when the ignition is off. I try not to leave stuff plugged in, but my two small devices use so little current that they can stay plugged in overnight and longer with no problem. However, a small cooler, which has a higher drain, will be disconnected if left in for more than 3 hours approximately.

My car won't even power a tyre inflater via the cigarette lighter unless the ignition is on one click.

...i used to call them cigarette lighter sockets but that's a no-no these days
Cigarette lighter sockets are the work of the devil ! I prefer to replace them with a bulgin type socket that provides a far more secure and reliable connection. Means that you have to change the plug end too though... would defo be my preferred solution for a cooler connection.

Cigarette lighter sockets are the work of the devil ! I prefer to replace them with a bulgin type socket that provides a far more secure and reliable connection. Means that you have to change the plug end too though... would defo be my preferred solution for a cooler connection.
I agree , the sockets are bad enough, put the plugs are usually pure tat.

Hi, i would be careful,tapping in to the loom,as certain additions of load,will be seen on that vehicle as a fault.
I would use the opportunity of having any headlining or roof accessories opened,to check there are no water leaks,as these can cause issues,on that marque.

Reply to VW Transporter questions in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock