Discuss Want to train/Domestic only/Notifiable work etc in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am a 40 year old and want to re-train as an electrician but only work on domestic properties. I already have another business which runs itself and provides an income. I have no interest in working commercially or on building sites etc.

I am currently taking the 2365 level 2, then level 3 and I understand after that I should be looking to work as an electricians mate for little money (which is fine) to get my experience.

I think I understand about the 'notifiable work' situation and I am allowed to do all work on a property but will need to get local authority out to sign notifiable work off unless I join a CPS (which I can't do unless I get my NVQ+AM2 etc?). In the real world how does this work? Do I do a job for someone and say "You will need to pay a fee of £xyz and someone will come and sign it off?". Or do I add the money onto the job and say someone will come and sign it off? Does this mean a fully qualified electrician will be able to do the job cheaper as they can self sign?

Thanks

I am a 40 year old and want to re-train as an electrician but only work on domestic properties. I already have another business which runs itself and provides an income. I have no interest in working commercially or on building sites etc.

I am currently taking the 2365 level 2, then level 3 and I understand after that I should be looking to work as an electricians mate for little money (which is fine) to get my experience.

I think I understand about the 'notifiable work' situation and I am allowed to do all work on a property but will need to get local authority out to sign notifiable work off unless I join a CPS (which I can't do unless I get my NVQ+AM2 etc?). In the real world how does this work? Do I do a job for someone and say "You will need to pay a fee of £xyz and someone will come and sign it off?". Or do I add the money onto the job and say someone will come and sign it off? Does this mean a fully qualified electrician will be able to do the job cheaper as they can self sign?

Thanks

To be honest, if you said to me that you would do the job, but that I would have to get someone else in to sign it off, then I would go elsewhere.

To be honest, if you said to me that you would do the job, but that I would have to get someone else in to sign it off, then I would go elsewhere.

I suspected this would be the case. I am getting the impression that I would simply not do any notifiable work, or find someone else to do it and just concentrate on other things.

THis is a issue ..I cannot work out why a 2 year course cannot be offered that allows any work in a domestic situation be be done and signed off

Part Pee is an absolute nightmare I'm afraid...
You can be fully qualified but unless you belong to a Scam then you can't self notify via building and planning control

I had this a while ago , I worked full time for a company but would often get asked by friends , family etc to do weekend jobs but I would have to turn them down and I couldn't self notify or I would do the job and get a mate who was Part Pee to notify the job which wasn't really legit. But at that time there was no point me joining a scam as it just wasn't worth it financially

It is only really once you go fully self employed in the domestic sector you need to pay a Scam so you can self notify

Thanks

Think we're in a very similar situation (working/ retraining). I looked at a DEI course with the following qualifications bundled:
The course I'm looking at is:

LCL Awards Level 3 - Certificate in Installing, Testing and Ensuring Compliance of Electrical Installations in Dwellings

City & Guilds 2382-22 - Level 3 18th Edition Wiring Regulations

City & Guilds 2391-50 - Level 3 Inspection & Testing - Initial Verification

plus

City & Guilds 2391-51 Periodic Inspection and Testing course
City & Guilds 2919-01 Electric Vehicle charging course

-----

Seems NIE EIC will accept the first 3 qualifications for Domestic Installer Qualified Supervisor, which I think will allow me to sign off work after the assessment + 2 years experience portfolio and insurance, RAs etc. The difficult bit seems to be building the portfolio of work, including notifiable, when you can't sign stuff off - catch 22.

I'm thinking I'll do the quals, hopefully start picking up some minor jobs and see where it takes me. I'm fortunate enough to have a full time job anyway so this will probably start as evenings/weekends. Also know some full time sparks so hoping to give them a hand with some stuff too - but it's definitely a minefield and I'm hoping I'm not about to waste a load of money and time! (although my employer will contribute towards the course)

Think we're in a very similar situation (working/ retraining). I looked at a DEI course with the following qualifications bundled:
The course I'm looking at is:

LCL Awards Level 3 - Certificate in Installing, Testing and Ensuring Compliance of Electrical Installations in Dwellings

City & Guilds 2382-22 - Level 3 18th Edition Wiring Regulations

City & Guilds 2391-50 - Level 3 Inspection & Testing - Initial Verification

plus

City & Guilds 2391-51 Periodic Inspection and Testing course
City & Guilds 2919-01 Electric Vehicle charging course

-----

Seems NIE EIC will accept the first 3 qualifications for Domestic Installer Qualified Supervisor, which I think will allow me to sign off work after the assessment + 2 years experience portfolio and insurance, RAs etc. The difficult bit seems to be building the portfolio of work, including notifiable, when you can't sign stuff off - catch 22.

I'm thinking I'll do the quals, hopefully start picking up some minor jobs and see where it takes me. I'm fortunate enough to have a full time job anyway so this will probably start as evenings/weekends. Also know some full time sparks so hoping to give them a hand with some stuff too - but it's definitely a minefield and I'm hoping I'm not about to waste a load of money and time! (although my employer will contribute towards the course)
March 30th this was posted @aliensbrains ... how have you progressed from that date please? I'm sort of in the same loop as you were back here... except add into the mix that I'm trying to do this in Scotland. SELECT/SECTT/NICEIC(Scotland) just want to get you off the telephone as fast as possible when you call to get a definitive answer and some explanation to the Catch22 that you spoke of.

To be honest, you've got three options:

Turn down the work as you can't self certify it.

Get building control to do it (prohibitively expensive.)

Say nothing and do the work anyway.

Pretty much nobody will ask for certs or even your qualifications but it will come back to bite you if it gets around your local area that you don't do things by the book.

The last separate option is only taking on non-notifiable work.

March 30th this was posted @aliensbrains ... how have you progressed from that date please? I'm sort of in the same loop as you were back here... except add into the mix that I'm trying to do this in Scotland. SELECT/SECTT/NICEIC(Scotland) just want to get you off the telephone as fast as possible when you call to get a definitive answer and some explanation to the Catch22 that you spoke of.

Basically, I'm in a similar position now to what I was back then, except I'm now doing the courses.

I'm not sure I would've enrolled if work weren't contributing to it and I hadn't heard reasonably decent things about the assessment centre.

To be honest, I except that the goalposts will keep moving on this, so am just in it for the ride and hoping for the best. You have to complete a portfolio as part of the LCL Award and it seems fairly comprehensive to be honest - and may well take months or even a year or so after the teaching elements are completed.

I'm in a lucky position, where I'm already working so am still planning to complete the qualifications then slowly build experience doing mainly minor works and non notifiable jobs and maybe using BC or local sparks to sign off jobs if needed . Then if I need to, after a couple of years I'll look at joining NIC or Napit.

Hope that is of some little help.

Good luck.

To be honest, you've got three options:

Turn down the work as you can't self certify it.

Get building control to do it (prohibitively expensive.)

Say nothing and do the work anyway.

Pretty much nobody will ask for certs or even your qualifications but it will come back to bite you if it gets around your local area that you don't do things by the book.

The last separate option is only taking on non-notifiable work.
Most will be happy if the work is of a good standard and you turn up on time and dont take the mickey . Paper work is poorly controlled these days . A friend of mine needed certs when selling his house .Certs where provided ,the boxes ticked , No one checked the certs :) Nothing was said . Its all tick boxing these days

Reply to Want to train/Domestic only/Notifiable work etc in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net