Discuss Water heater - what size? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

highspark

Went to job today and as I was pulling cables to one side I grabbed hold of a 1.5mm t&e and it was very very warm. Traced it back from unmarked fused board and it goes to a water heater. It was on a 15amp breaker which was also very warm. Could not identify what wattage the tank carries but it isn't a large one. What size breaker and cable are these usually on? Would a 20amp 2.5mm radial be sufficient or am I looking more towards a 4mm 30 amp?

Couldn't you put a clamp meter on the supply either at the MCB or at the heater itself. It would be better than guessing.

If the 1.5mm cable was a short length and wasn't running in insulation then a 15A MCB would probably be about right. If the MCB had no history of tripping it might just be close to the 15A, they do get luke warm when they're running close to full load.

Reply to Water heater - what size? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I have taken delivery of an undersink water heater. It is fitted with an RCD on the electrical supply cable which terminates with a euro-plug. I...
Replies
Views
Yes a friend is trying to get as much low cost energy as possible, he has a water tank with top and bottom elements which runs of Economy7 through...
Replies
Views
Beware a little long. I served an electrical apprenticeship a long time ago, then went back to full time education immediately moving away from...
Replies
Views
I have a regular sized tub. I would like to be able to heat the water to a certain temperature. I've been looking at on-demand heaters for this...
Replies
Views
Hi folks. I'm asking so that I can do some planning, and then hire a local electrician to do the work. WHAT: This is my first question, ever...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock