Discuss Website review in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Pete_Gillson

Hi, would any of you good people mind having a glance through my website and giving a bit of advice, I'm content with it and getting hits but still got a very high bounce rate.

I'm concerned I may have been a bit too honest in my blog about my background and being new to the industry but that's just my nature.

In turn if anyone wants any technical info about the set-up, cost, domain registration etc. I'm happy to share.

Thanks in advance,

Domestic electrician in Swineshead, Sleaford, Boston, Spalding

Not keen on the white on black on your about me page, just my opinion.

I also think the gallery is weak, the clipped cables in the loft does not look good and I'm not sure about the car picture.

What's a bounce?

Thanks for that, I need to start taking photos, just thought better to have something rather than nothing. I'll do some hunting.

The bounce rate is the number of people who hit a page but do not click any of the links, Currently it's about 73%. So new visitors who don't hang around!

Thanks for that, I need to start taking photos, just thought better to have something rather than nothing. I'll do some hunting.

The bounce rate is the number of people who hit a page but do not click any of the links, Currently it's about 73%. So new visitors who don't hang around!

Thanks for clearing up the bouncy thing

Good point, might have to put a ban on my half deaf mother in law answering the phone though!

Are you sure the hits are actual people not bots. only about 20% of my hits are real people.
Also sockets from £15 sounds a little cheap, although I don't know the going rate in your area.

Bots ?

I now have a virtual land line for my business. Costs about £10/month. It has a local area code, keeps my home phone and business calls separate.

I run IP traces on a lot of hits and you're right, probably half are from the states or London so appreciate it's not so simple.

I've invested in a few premium adverts which seems to be doing the trick but just don't want it to be wasted.

I moved to rural Lincolnshire because the property prices were so low, great while I was commuting to my previous job but now I'm working locally I'm starting to realise why! That is a good point though, maybe I was being a bit cheeky, that would have been a bare minimum and wouldn't charge that for a lone job so I've removed the price all together.

I guess that you're editing the website yourself; nice one. Feel free to take a look at mine, which I did myself, and nick ideas (link in sig).

Yours works pretty well on a big screen and on a Windows mobile with the exception of the 'territory' circle, which appears separately to the map on the mobile.

I agree with the white on black and lack of landline number comments above.

It displays fine on my android phone with the exception of the map issue that handysparks highlighted.

That colour though. Ouch ! It looks puke yellow on my PC monitor and snot green on my phone.

I think the "nuisance RCD tripping" service you offer is a bit odd. Why not just "fault finding" ?

I also agree that the gallery needs work, but if you are a new starter that will come with time. Make sure you photograph every job you do.

I suggest getting a "proper" domain name rather than using hotmail.com and (as AndyB suggests) a virtual landline if you have a half decent broadband service, mine costs only £2.40 per month.
Good Luck

Cheers guys, all good points and some I've half considered,

The internet here is shocking and I don't get a great phone signal so I have an auto divert from my mobile to landline when I'm at home but I guess I'll just change the answerphone message and hide the handsets.

There's desktop and mobile editor views which appear fine from here but I'll do the map externally and merge the images should fix that bit.

The overall colour is supposed to be the sunny yellow (I think they call it) you sometimes see VW vans in. I wonder if changing the colour settings will make it a little more consistent, I don't know how many options there are with the Wix editor.

MI'll keep my eyes out for a BG RCBO as well, just as not to bug anyone else, I'm not wholly convinced many would notice though ;)

Cheers guys, all good points and some I've half considered,

The internet here is shocking and I don't get a great phone signal so I have an auto divert from my mobile to landline when I'm at home but I guess I'll just change the answerphone message and hide the handsets.

There's desktop and mobile editor views which appear fine from here but I'll do the map externally and merge the images should fix that bit.

The overall colour is supposed to be the sunny yellow (I think they call it) you sometimes see VW vans in. I wonder if changing the colour settings will make it a little more consistent, I don't know how many options there are with the Wix editor.

MI'll keep my eyes out for a BG RCBO as well, just as not to bug anyone else, I'm not wholly convinced many would notice though ;)

Fitting mismatched components would probably be against both manufacturer's instructions and advice. Do they fit exactly and have been made to be compatible ? The issues here are not likely to be cosmetic but more of a fire hazard nature.

Wow, I didn't need to manufacture anything obtuse to fit it in, actually it fits better than the extra few BG breakers I bought to make up the set, which all seem a little bit on the ****.

Wasn't intending to mention it but I had to replace one of the RCD pictured which came with the board because it was adding nearly an Ohm to the Zs. Maybe I'll invest in some better hardware next time.

Hi Pete.

Just a small point, in the 'Blog' section of your website, the 'New Business' post, 'stationary' = not moving, 'stationery' = pens and paper. :icon4:

Happy to be called a pedant, like Pete999 on here, but I think that small things like that can make a difference.

Best wishes for the future.

Jez Wilkins

I'm impressed, didn't expect anybody to look in that much depth. A successful day with a few changes, nothing major but as Jez says, it's the little things that make the difference.

I also managed to plumb in the fridge so the wife will be happy when she gets home, sparkling water on tap; I could get used to this self-employed malarkey!

Thanks to everyone who got in touch and anyone else who took the time to take a look

Reply to Website review in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock