Discuss Weird Transformer Fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

AndrewMgan1976

Just fitted a light for someone, one of these 5 way 12V 20w things with 105VA transformer in the base.

Put 1 lamp in and it lit very dimly, so checked the transformer and was getting nothing through it. Put in the other 4 lamps and they all worked perfectly.

Any thoughts on probable cause of the initial dullness?

Transformers are usually valid from a low VA to a high one, eg 20 to 105. Which means it won't work if the draw drops below the low number. Could be this one was a bit fussy, or might be 25-105 (unlikely).

PJ

Its an electronic transformer it will specify min and max wattage... you are under the min' threshhold so the electronics will not power the secondary side up..... RTFI - Read The Instructions is the term i was always taught. ;)

Andy have you read the minimum load usually printed on the transformer itself.... What does it say! As said before if you go below this the output voltage is cut... although not always fully you may get a leakage hence the dim glow.

Andy have you read the minimum load usually printed on the transformer itself.... What does it say! As said before if you go below this the output voltage is cut... although not always fully you may get a leakage hence the dim glow.

I didn't notice it and the person didn't have the instructions. She had tried to fit it herself after watching youtube videos!!

Reply to Weird Transformer Fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, Im new to the forum and wanted to check something and maybe get some advice confirmation. Ive got halogen wall lights which use a...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. Hopefully someone can help with a little mystery i had today. The issue is fixed but I want to understand what was going on to help...
Replies
Views
I really need help with this puzzler. First - I am moderately 'skilled' in day-to-day basic wiring. My puzzle: I am trying to replace a...
Replies
Views
Hello, this is my first post here. I have a little experience with most types of household wiring through a decade of DIY remodeling, and...
Replies
Views
Hi all, New to the forum. I have been asked to look at this for one of our guys who's had an issue onsite after some electrical works had been...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock