Discuss What Cert got fitting main switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi I have been asked to fit a main switch / isolator by my client as they have no means of isolating the full installation by a single means. So I'm planing on fitting a Wylex isolator like the ones meter people fit but my question is what Cert should I be I fill out at the end a minor works or a full eic even though I'm not technically changing a consumer unit I'm just cutting the tails at the Henley block

Thanks

Working live then? surely that should be a DNO task, how are you going to isolate the Tails?

No, but sometimes the energy supplier will fit one, sometimes paid for sometimes not.
Alright the energy suppliers Job then. DNO (Distribution Network Operator), same thing isn't it??????????

Last edited:
Alright the energy suppliers Job then. DNO (Distribution Network Operator), same thing isn't it??????????
No it’s not.
Often the energy supplier such as British Gas are required to install the metering equipment and the isolator and not the DNO who stop at the head.

You cannot supply a certificate as it is not within your remit, this is clearly the energy suppliers responsibility as the fuse has to be pulled to do it safely, get the supplier to do it.

Taking the tails out of the esco live is fine if your competent to do so and work safely. People on here need to be realistic. Every time you fit a board do you call the DNO in to take the fuse out? Don't know about the rest of you but I havnt got time for that

I would just go for a minor works certificate.
Testing from new isolator up to the cu incomer.
A MNWC is used for alterations to an individual circuit, in this case the OP will be altering an Electrical System, so imo I doubt a MNWC will be the correct option. the customer should contact the DNO or energy supplier as I have been corrected.
Taking the tails out of the esco live is fine if your competent to do so and work safely. People on here need to be realistic. Every time you fit a board do you call the DNO in to take the fuse out? Don't know about the rest of you but I havnt got time for that
Been lucky so far then Mate?

A MNWC is used for alterations to an individual circuit, in this case the OP will be altering an Electrical System, so imo I doubt a MNWC will be the correct option. the customer should contact the DNO or energy supplier as I have been corrected.

Been lucky so far then Mate?
I have Pete I have to say, nothing bad to report as of yet

Cut seals, pull fuses, fit isolator.

Other wise job will never get done.

No cert for me, as neither are fit for purpose in all honesty.

Just note up the invoice.

Last edited:
Possibly different sets of rules for different DNOs.
Here the dno would fit a sealed isolator before the meter but not after it as that is the consumers side..
Can make arrangements with DNO to isolate the supply but I am more than capable of carrying out the necessary work live and safely. I always make sure that when I am working live there is no path to earth through my body.
I always issue some kind of certificate for this kind of work, so minor works for me.
What did you all do or still do when installing and RCD between the meter and the CU?

Reply to What Cert got fitting main switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock