Discuss What else do you offer or would think about offering ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have worked with and always admired some of the older blokes on-site who can do a bit of everything , like plumb a new boiler , fit a kitchen , tile a floor and rewire a house all to a good standard.

I think as already mentioned a lot of it boils down to people being fed up waiting for other trades to turn up so you can get a job finished so you just learned to do it all yourself

I have worked with and always admired some of the older blokes on-site who can do a bit of everything , like plumb a new boiler , fit a kitchen , tile a floor and rewire a house all to a good standard.

I think as already mentioned a lot of it boils down to people being fed up waiting for other trades to turn up so you can get a job finished so you just learned to do it all yourself
Once a client trust you but accept limitations on skill /finish quality etc etc /Its a good earner .

I'm terrible at plastering / filling etc. so I just don't do it.

Plumbing wise like for like replacements of showers and instantaneous water heaters only for me and even at that only if getting a plumber is an issue.

Joinery wise I'll do what's needed to get my own job done but that's about it.

I like my job, that's why I do it and don't really enjoy the other stuff.

I like a bit of plumbing, and it's amazing how often a client asks for some plumbing work. when you are there. Some carpentry too, but not my favourite.
Last job for a neighbour was a new immersion heater timer, fitted in a cupboard in the bathroom. I switched on the light and the extractor fan started...what a horrible noise! A few twists of the screwdriver fastened it back to the wall and instantly it was virtually silent. How long has it been like that? I asked...
Since just before lockdown, but I couldn't get anyone to sort it...
Then she asked, I don't suppose you could fit a new shower screen seal?
5 minutes later, it's done...she insisted on paying me extra for the extra jobs.
Always handy to have a couple of extra skills, imho.

I have always found it unbelievable that most trades do not supply a complete service, if you rip something out or gouge out a wall, you should make it good to at least decoration stage, saying you'r no good at plastering is not a reason it's an excuse.

I have always found it unbelievable that most trades do not supply a complete service, if you rip something out or gouge out a wall, you should make it good to at least decoration stage, saying you'r no good at plastering is not a reason it's an excuse.
I agree ( to a point )

If I add a couple socket for Doris up the road then I will do my best to fill all the chases and around the boxes ready for painting

If I do a full re-wire more often than not my price will not include making good and in general I am too busy to make good as I go so I often ask the client to get a plasterer round after I have finished 1st fix stage.
That said if the client REALLY wants me to do fill the chases then I will add an extra few days on to the job at my usual rate and whack some bonding in to the chases

Agree there is a point where it becomes uneconomical for the client and the tradesman for them to make good, if its a refurb then the plaster's are going to be following on anyway its pointless to step outside your remit.

Ohh Doris, Jamie Lee Curtis in True Lies.

Try getting a plasterer to pop around and do tiny bits ! Much better to offer the service of bonding to a good finish so a decorator etc could fine fill etc or the customer does it . But state its at normal rates .if the work is offered take it ! Only time its a issue if they ask after the job and you are off to another appointment etc

I assume this is all your work ?
Except for the tiling in the bathroom.
My tiling is not good! 20180314_164500.jpg
This tiler is fantastic.

Attachments

• IMG_20170527_182011.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20170603_172826.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Except for the tiling in the bathroom.
My tiling is not good!View attachment 98645
This tiler is fantastic.
I just wondered, as I remember replacing a vented copper tank immersion with a 300 ltr unvented stainless one and had a bit of a moan from the plumber as I didn't have the G3 certification not having a dig just saying.

I just wondered, as I remember replacing a vented copper tank immersion with a 300 ltr unvented stainless one and had a bit of a moan from the plumber as I didn't have the G3 certification not having a dig just saying.
My G3 expires in December.

Reply to What else do you offer or would think about offering ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net