Discuss What else do you offer or would think about offering ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

LukeD

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I got sick to death years ago waiting for a Sparks to come in and do some work.I was working for a famous interior designer and doing high end painting . The sparks would rock up always late and still earn great money . So that made me train and qualify .I wanted the money and to limit relying on others . Clients also welcomed it . So now I am more than happy to not only make good etc .But REALLY make good if there is time and the customer will pay .They just dont want too many trades all tripping all over each other and turning up late etc .

So what else would you do to add to your worth etc ? Obviously this is more Domestic type work!

Completely agree that people prefer less trades on site especially in a domestic or small commercial, I can offer everything and often do end up doing most things, but only ever on the same rates as I’d charge for electricial works, it’s surprising how many people are willing to pay knowing it’s all getting taken care off without them lifting a finger 😂

I offer basic carpentry if required. I spent a few months working with a good friend who is a carpenter and picked up and developed good skills. I like the intricacy of good joinery.
I am kept too busy with EV and Battery Storage at present and will soon be going into PV.
I do like a bit of welding and fabrication if time permits, currently working on a really good custom built BBQ.

I will pretty much do anything and everything ( except gas and wet plumbing ) , I make good all my own chases if time allows , i will paint a room and even a whole house if the price is right. i will lay new laminate flooring for customers again if time allows and the price is right.
I do plasterboarding and have overboarded plenty ceilings and put up new coving.
As a one man band its just easier to do 99% of the jobs yourself

My body to the right client tee hee
100% if I ever get an idea things good go wrong and a female is acting a bit "tarty" ..I am off . Its not worth it and Ive seen a few guys really regret it .From cock rot to mad calls in the middle of the night or a Husband been told and wanting to kick the ---- out of the guy etc . And I have had to "escape " a few times ....some of these wealthy women are nuts after a couple of drinks which they seem to like .

100% if I ever get an idea things good go wrong and a female is acting a bit "tarty" ..I am off . Its not worth it and Ive seen a few guys really regret it .From cock rot to mad calls in the middle of the night or a Husband been told and wanting to kick the ---- out of the guy etc . And I have had to "escape " a few times ....some of these wealthy women are nuts after a couple of drinks which they seem to like .
LOL its true joking aside it aint worth it.

I will pretty much do anything and everything ( except gas and wet plumbing ) , I make good all my own chases if time allows , i will paint a room and even a whole house if the price is right. i will lay new laminate flooring for customers again if time allows and the price is right.
I do plasterboarding and have overboarded plenty ceilings and put up new coving.
As a one man band its just easier to do 99% of the jobs yourself
Yup I think more so when you are SE, good to have a few strings to your bow.

Think @Dustydazzler has nailed it there….when you are on your own it’s a pita to wait for other trades it’s easier to just get on with it….on something like a rewire it’s often easy to lose the making good at a very good rate within the quote so why not 😁

I quite enjoy plumbing ( I plumbed my own bathroom make-over and I plumbed my parents new bathroom and new kitchen)
but because I am not a trained plumber I don't generally offer it as one of my paid services. Although I do get lots of people ask if I do boilers and bathrooms etc.
I reckon a one man band in my area who could do plumbing , electrics , tiling , plastering etc could probably earn well over a grand a day

I quite enjoy plumbing ( I plumbed my own bathroom make-over and I plumbed my parents new bathroom and new kitchen)
but because I am not a trained plumber I don't generally offer it as one of my paid services. Although I do get lots of people ask if I do boilers and bathrooms etc.
I reckon a one man band in my area who could do plumbing , electrics , tiling , plastering etc could probably earn well over a grand a day
Well I do all them things and more so I’m on me way dusty! 😂

Ive had jobs for 4 months on my own. very very rare I need a labourer >Clients like their privacy and they hate the living daylights out of scruffy trade types that you always wonder if you can trust them. We sometimes see stuff that needs to be private even if the media would pay well for the details !!!!!!

Commercially and some domestic, I used to do plumbing, locksmithing, bit of wet trades, carpentry, data cabling, computer troubleshooting but latterly I decided just to do electrics. Keeping track of five or more different tool sets and lugging it all about just became too much. Now I can travel light and just laser in on one trade. I find it much better especially now I am semi-retired. Though I have a workshop at home and do carpentry and still have those tools mostly hand tools at that.

Ha! One advantage of my line of work (and general appearance) is I don't get such poisoned chalice offers!

If you’re doing more than one trade, you’re gonna need a bigger van.

I’ve got a bag of plumbing bits in the van for doing the odd shower, but that’s about it.
Little bit of wood butchery if I need to.
Have been known to dismantle a brand new kitchen to get cables run as the customer hadn’t thought of getting the spark in before the chippy.

My plastering skills are abysmal. I can fill a hole, but advise the customer beforehand that they might need to patch again afterwards.
Painting is the same.

Playing away from home.
You got to be crazy if you think you won’t get found out.

A few other bits to keep customers happy.

Attachments

• IMG_1567.jpg
    610.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 20171124_172150.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 20190111_174246.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 20171002_144331.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 20171002_144205.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 20190816_131329.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 39

Reply to What else do you offer or would think about offering ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net