Discuss What in this old service head? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aaron b

Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I had a look at a property with this old service head. It's a looped supply, the met is just a bolt and the tn-s earth is questionable. There's also a knockout missing on the side. I'll recommend the DNA are contacted to look it over.

I was wondering what the insides are like? If there's a convenient fuse to remove for example. I'm assuming it has a method of isolation as the meter Muppets were there in 2014.Screenshot_20230112-192648.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Good advice but I can see the temptation, its about 25mm but I don't know if live parts are accessable.

I don't know how helpful ukpower are with such things.

Tell ‘em it smells funny and smokes a bit.
They’ll come out.

Rather than resort to deception, the OP could simply state their concerns to the relevant DNO and allow them to determine whether or not any risk is present. It's likely that pointing out the presence of a hole of, approximately 25mm diameter, would raise sufficient concern that some further questions might be asked before any conclusion is reached.

It's a standard single-phase BIC head that was part of a matching series of components including a CU in the same dimensions and finish. There's a BS1361 cartridge fuse in a ceramic carrier inside. If they take it off, I could use it, and would pay you to mail it to me, I have the matching CU but not the head.

The single bolt MET should have a pair of copper washers with interlocking side tabs. The correct way to terminate a cable was to form an eyelet with three strands one side and four the other, which would then be clasped between the tabs of the washers. A perfectly secure termination when used correctly.

It's a standard single-phase BIC head that was part of a matching series of components including a CU in the same dimensions and finish. There's a BS1361 cartridge fuse in a ceramic carrier inside. If they take it off, I could use it, and would pay you to mail it to me, I have the matching CU but not the head.

The single bolt MET should have a pair of copper washers with interlocking side tabs. The correct way to terminate a cable was to form an eyelet with three strands one side and four the other, which would then be clasped between the tabs of the washers. A perfectly secure termination when used correctly.
Thanks for the information. I will ask for it if I have the opportunity and keep an eye out for anything similar.

I gave it a bit of a tighten but everything was moving and I didn't want to get too involved while not getting paid.

Ah, I wasn't referring to claw terminals, also known by the brand name 'Collett,' which attach semi permanently to the end of the cable. I meant the pair of loose interlocking washers with two tabs, on opposite sides, which simply prevent the eyelets tied in the cables splaying out and escaping from between them.

Reply to What in this old service head? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net