Discuss What is this and is it normal? Council electrics in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

RyanA

-
Reaction score
It's been almost 4 years since the council updated all the electrics in the house, at the time they moved the fuse box to the back wall rather than the side wall. Today curiosity got the better of me and I'm just wondering what this is, as it doesn't look normal. At the time a council inspector looked everything over and said it was OK.

Basically wires coming through the wall where the fusebox used to be, going into this little bar with screw things on it, they just plastered over all the wires. From the little bar are more wires going into the fusebox.

What is this, and is it normal/safe?

IMG_20171229_230122[1].jpg

IMG_20171229_230130[1].jpg

As soon as i read the first line "It's been almost 4 years since the council updated all the electrics in the house"
i knew it would be more likely than not that the standard or workmanship would be poor.
Have seen some right awful council rewires over the years, the worst was over in wales, all run in plastic trunking, wall mounted, the walls were that damp we had to screw it all to walls as the stuff kept falling off!
With these types of jobs its a race to the bottom with a focus on minimum of cost.

So I guess touching the bar would be a bad idea? Shouldn't it be covered?

Stupid questions but I'm one of those types who thinks they'll brush past it one day by accident.

Yes that's an earth terminal. It's normal to have such a terminal, but not normal for the terminal to be exposed. The earth circuit should be treated and protected as if it were live, as that's literally what it's there for. If there is a fault, to carry the live current back to the earth... So if you get a fault, that becomes live and it's exposed...

I'm not a qualified spark but I'd avoid fiddling with/licking the terminal.

Last edited:
the walls were that damp we had to screw it all to walls as the stuff kept falling off!

Reliance on stick on trunking :eek: :coldsweat:
Can't rely on the sticky stuff best to always drill trunking to the wall :fist:

There again,maybe I drill it only because I'm used to the damp walls in these parts:)

Looks like your Main Earthing Terminal. Messy job but not unsafe. They’re usually mounted near the meter

Out of interest, how is that not potentially dangerous if there were a fault that led to the earth terminal carrying current? It is surely only there as it 'may' one day need to carry current.

Ignoring the RCD protection that must be present on the new box anyway, as that can fail and the earth terminal could carry current undetected for a length of time in some situations.

Just curious as to how that is safe?

While it's connected its safe . (If it needed to carry current)
(any attempts to pretty it up , in an unskilled/untested way....
could make -- all Protective Earths in the building --unsafe)

Thanks but I'm still confused about this. I totally understand that having it visible/accessible means it's safe as far as inspection goes... And I understand that a bodge job to hide it could damage earth continuity and leave a greater potential danger.

But surely it is designed to carry current in certain situations, so it's not safe to be exposed. How can it be?

Why can't it just be mounted in the CU as in fairly typical these days. Surely that is safe in both regards?

You used the word "potential" in your post

Food for thought :)If someone were to touch the earth bar, what else could they touch that can cause a potential difference to expose them to harm

EMT not unsafe just down right rough. I’d like to know if the supply tails are burind in the wall. Make sure you dont screw any coat hangers up on the wall

You used the word "potential" in your post

Food for thought :)If someone were to touch the earth bar, what else could they touch that can cause a potential difference to expose them to harm

The outer metal case of anything else plugged in and earthed - I did think about that :)

But it's still going to want to take the most direct route to earth, which is via that earth terminal. So I'd rather be touching outer case of anything else plugged in and earthed than that terminal the earth circuit became live.

Out of interest, how is that not potentially dangerous if there were a fault that led to the earth terminal carrying current? It is surely only there as it 'may' one day need to carry current.

Ignoring the RCD protection that must be present on the new box anyway, as that can fail and the earth terminal could carry current undetected for a length of time in some situations.

Just curious as to how that is safe?

They are there as a direct path to earth. I presume the other two cables leaving the terminals will be the main bonding to the other services, which will have exposed metal parts also.

You would hope as the installation has been signed off by an inspector that any fault current would trip the RCD

The outer metal case of anything else plugged in and earthed - I did think about that :)

But it's still going to want to take the most direct route to earth, which is via that earth terminal. So I'd rather be touching outer case of anything else plugged in and earthed than that terminal the earth circuit became live.

the walls were that damp we had to screw it all to walls as the stuff kept falling off!

Reliance on stick on trunking :eek: :coldsweat:
Can't rely on the sticky stuff best to always drill trunking to the wall :fist:

There again,maybe I drill it only because I'm used to the damp walls in these parts:)
Haha... It was done by council on a contract i was on. They were bit funny at first when it all came off. When we started screwing they moaned about time and cost of screws and plugs.. . It was a case of as cheap as possible and as quick as possible. The old stuff was all left in place with backboxes filled with plaster. I dread to think what happened to that block of flats... Council barely maintained it..

Reply to What is this and is it normal? Council electrics in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net