Discuss Whats your worst Nightmare? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

And why are Plasterers treated like God??

"you must get in and First Fix today because the Plasterers are Coming tomorrow"

I agree about the boxes being plastered in, My Mate used to leave the cables hanging out to avoid this and then the Plasterer cut all the cables short and cut off his Markings!! you can't win!!

My beef with them is that the bonding coat also seems to be shy of the box and the finish coat overlaps the box, so when you try to "clean up" around the box, one gentle tap and a great big lump comes out and who gets the blame???

The Other Thing is Why are they Paid More than Us?? Most of Them can't read or write!

On the subject - kitchen fitters who decide that they don't wanna make a cut to accommodate a trunking drop so rip the trunking off the wall and then fit the work top and units around your cables leavinf them unprotected and on view for all to see and with no way to get a bit of trunking back over them. ----ers on price trying to make their lives easier - sod the poor sparks!

And why is it that we are mean to be at the top of the trade tree but we get the least money?:confused:

agree with you both, Andy M, and cirrus. One time in a hotel we was working on, we was getting blame for not finishing the work quick enough, when theres no bleeding ceiling to 2nd fix the lights, or 2nd fix sockets because the plasterer hasnt finished. Oh n its still our fault because we havnt connected the underfloor heating for the titlers, because the bloody joiner boxed the whole section in where the spurs were.

OK go easy as I think this is my first post....I have a great respect for those council tenants generally referred to as scum. I can think of no better job than to start work at 8am digging a trench outside their house to a depth of 600mm, laying a new swa cable to just outside their door, connecting one end to a small hand-held genny with capacitor and the other to a small noise generating device such as a several of pounds of TNT and using it as a doorbell. Even that probably would not wake them......and relax!!!!!!!! Now plasterers.......

I got locked out of a tenants house last weekend cos she refused to let me back in after I 'invalidated her NEFF cooker guarantee by wiring it up to a 45A DP cooker switch' claiming the switch couldn't possibly turn the supply off. Her husband found her medication shortly after and once the council big cheeses had been to visit things calmed down :D:D

Go figure!

i have read with interest about council house tennants. never worked in one but did do some NVQ assessment in a couple when at Uxbridge. Out of interest how many of you guys used to be one?

I was

Gone up in the world now though, currently working in Lady Hamiltons Gaff!! I'm afraid that occupied rewires are just as bad where ever you are. As a man once said to me when i was on Changing Rooms "same S**T,different toilet!!

Hi ,
|Yeah i used to live on a council estate ,i dont know about now ,but then just about everyone had jobs and all got up early to go to them ,i resented the term scum ,but as it was the guys first post ,i decided to let it ride. but i can assure everyone in those days worked hard and if anyone went into a house to do some work ,im sure the ladys looked after them ,

i did council house rewires once when work was slack for about 6 months ,most folk were quite old and i used to like sitting having tea ,watching telly ,even gave some old lady a joint one afternoon ,there was another side to the coin ,furnature

atvbitwww

Plasterers..... I was on a large site a few years ago now and one of them plasterers cut cables (so short could not terminate) "saying they are to long " let it ride a couple of times then he did it again.. took my hammer to the nice clean polished wall he did the day before. Lets say he was not happy boy.. we had abit of a dust up then he was ok,
By the way my brother is a plasterer and he earns about 15k more than me a year, just for wacking a bit of slop on the wall... But it is hard graft i will give him that.

Never been a council tenant. Tried but they turned me away saying I earn too much. Got sick of paying a £1300 per month mortgage and it riles me to think that behind my house are tenants who have beautiful views over the Gatcombes, a nice estate and only pay £77 a week for a house bigger than mine! Makes me angry as I obviously never worked out how to play the bloody system!

im afraid the 1 that does it 4 me is when all the bedrooms have laminate flooring ,but otherwise i like domestics,good fun.ha

laminate floor ? ha ! you tell them its coming up
when your working against an illerterate lazy scrounging tennent and a boss that doesnt want to know verus a job your desperate to keep cos its the best on offer ,beeen there done that , wiped my a**e with the t shirt

If you ever want to get one back on the plasterers, an old trick i was once told is while mr plasterer is not looking, pee in his water container. Apparently there is somthing in urine that reacts with plaster and makes it go off VERY quickly, to the point where they cant get it on the wall quick enough and it just sticks to the float and makes a right mess !

Got to be worth a try, just for the laugh !!

If you ever want to get one back on the plasterers, an old trick i was once told is while mr plasterer is not looking, pee in his water container. Apparently there is somthing in urine that reacts with plaster and makes it go off VERY quickly, to the point where they cant get it on the wall quick enough and it just sticks to the float and makes a right mess !

Got to be worth a try, just for the laugh !!

Ah what a player .spot on spud :)

if it dont work ,try having a dump in his bucket:D

laminate floor ? ha ! you tell them its coming up
when your working against an illerterate lazy scrounging tennent and a boss that doesnt want to know verus a job your desperate to keep cos its the best on offer ,beeen there done that , wiped my a**e with the t shirt

If there that bothered about the floor ,wire it from underneath,just bash a load of holes in the ceiling, its quicker and easier than having the floor up;)

Last edited by a moderator:
my worst nightmare happened. had to run a gas supression system in a cable void. the cable void was about 1 meter high, the doors were less than a meter high, had to climb over ladder racking and to put the icing on the cake it was done in pyro. love it. oh and the lights in the void had a tendency to switch of when ever they wanted to, god that place was rubbish.

Reply to Whats your worst Nightmare? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock