Discuss When did 17th edition first come into force? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

robd

-
Arms
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

Doing some digging into an old job and need to establish when the 17th was 1st brought into force, says Jan '08 in the cover but I've a feeling it was later, some google searches suggest June or July but can anyone remember?

And yes I know there's been an update since!

Cheers all

January 2008 is when it would be first published, but there is usually a 6 month overlap period between them to allow the new regs to come into force. In that period you can use either version of BS7671 for installations.

It is really to do with when the installation was designed. It could have been designed to the 16th in May 2008 and the installation completed in 2009.

Bit of both I think. Am going through an EICR done by someone else of an install completed between Sept 08 and Jan 09 and one of the issues is some lack of rcd protection. Two out of 12 circuits affected as 'spark' doing the work had used a split load 17th board and put MCB's in where I'd expect to see RCBO's. They were lighting circuits so arguably on 16th they wouldn't have been RCD protected, but how would it stand if the install was designed to 16th? Presumably a note on the original EIC saying circuits 1 & 2 to 16th edition but would this have been acceptable?

Under the design section on the certificate it should state which version of BS 7671 the installation was designed to comply with. If this states 16th edition then the installion should be tested to 16th edition regardless of date of completion.

Ok thanks Sintra, helpful as always. Not sure the NIC certs we use have the design bit, they are just the three page ones with a signature for design install and testing but I will go back through the archives, to a previous qualified supervisors boxes of stuff :skep: and do a bit of digging! Don't think the people doing the EICR had access to the original EIC by the looks of it. Thanks for you help

BS 7671:2008 (17th Ed) issued on 1/1/2008 and came into effect 1/7/2008. So any installations designed after 30/6/2008 would have to comply with the 17th Edition and any designed prior to 1/7/2008 to the 16th Edition for the purposes of the EIC when the installation is completed.

Bit of both I think. Am going through an EICR done by someone else of an install completed between Sept 08 and Jan 09 and one of the issues is some lack of rcd protection. Two out of 12 circuits affected as 'spark' doing the work had used a split load 17th board and put MCB's in where I'd expect to see RCBO's. They were lighting circuits so arguably on 16th they wouldn't have been RCD protected, but how would it stand if the install was designed to 16th? Presumably a note on the original EIC saying circuits 1 & 2 to 16th edition but would this have been acceptable?

I'm assuming that this is a domestic install ?
Well if it is then theres no real long term design / consultation element to this like you might find on a large commercial project.
By the time the job was completed in sept , the 17th regs would have already been running for 9 months so its not as if the CU was decided on over 10 months ago and couldnt be changed to a dual rcd one instead ?? thats just a load of tosh.
6 months phasing in of the new regs is plenty of time to add extra rcd's to a domestic job.
The work doesnt comply , end of.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to When did 17th edition first come into force? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock