Discuss Where and how to find a reliable electrician? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

EvilHamster

Hi everyone.

I realise that this is probably the wrong place to ask this question. But I was not sure where to ask.
I wanted to know how one should go about finding a decent electrician in the UK. The last two times we rang for repairman here got utter scam-artists. I do not throw that word around carelessly. Even criminal if you ask me.
As it turns out, ( I only saw that a bit later), they were both associated with rightio. I don't know if you guys know them, but my experience with them was so bad, that I am afraid to let a repairman in my house.

I wanted to know if there exists, for example, an official webpage by the British government, where one can look for certified electricians etc. or companies. But again, ones that are associated to the British government (for example the city council etc.). Is there such a thing? I realise they might be a bit more expensive, but at this point, it is wroth it to me.

Cheers everyone.

A good place to start would be:-

Home - http://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/
NAPIT | Promoting Excellence in the Building Services & Fabric Sector - http://www.napit.org.uk
Supporting contractors in the building services sector | NICEIC - http://www.niceic.com

However... just because someone is registered with these schemes, it does not mean they aren't scam artists, nor should you rule out someone who is not a member of these schemes (other schemes also exist - Stroma for example).

Depending on the electrical work you require you may or may not need a local authority building control notification. Members of these schemes can do the work and then notify, sparks who aren't have to jump through a few hoops when doing notifiable work.

The best way to find a reliable tradesman is personal recommendation. You could also try the business networking group BNI. By it's very nature, members of BNI are likely to be all the things you want because if they weren't, they would probably be booted out.

Just noticed, you're in Leicester. I'm originally from Leicester, so if you get stuck, I'm sure I can point you in the direction of a few sparks (I know one personally and a friend of mine - also from Leicester - knows a couple).

PM me your contact details if you get stuck and I'll pass them along.

Thank you very much for your replay. It is not a big job. It is a small one. It is kinda sad to see that there are no electricians under the city council for example. Would have been a nice thing.

Btw. when it comes to say working on Gas etc. one can ring up the gas providers. For example British Gas and they send someone over. Is there such a thing for electric providers? Is there an electricity provicer who also have repairmen for small repair jobs etc?

What job is it you need doing?

Your energy suppliers may do work, but they are likely to be more expensive than a local spark or gas engineer. In the case of electricity, their responsibility typically ends at the service head or meter (depending on whether it's the distribution network operator or electricity supplier respectively), after that it's your responsibility.

And yes, as @Wilko says, you can post on here.

You could also post on here - if you are not happy the spark knows you can rubbish them to all their mates :rolleyes:
True enough. But let me put it like this. Imagine a person who knows nothing about computers and he rings up a `computer help site (you know the ones I mean)'. They utterly scam him, twice. That person would be a bit paranoid at that point. Please don't misunderstand me. It is nothing personal, in any way, shape or form. I would just at this stage be willing to pay a little more and know that they are the real deal.

If I can not find a very official company, I will most likely post here. But I guess you can understand where I am coming from. If it was about carpeting, I would be less paranoid.

Again, thanks both for writing. I guess the first thing to do is ring up the electricity provider. Perhaps they can at least make an official recommendation...

Hi: Sorry to hear you've had such problems with Electricians.
Beware though, just because an Electrician works for a Council or Electricity board it does not mean that the quality of they're work is any better than the work of a good, independent electrician.
If you take a look at our find an Electrician feature, I'm sure you could find someone in your area. Alternatively as has already been suggested, ask neighbours or friends for recommendations.

Last edited by a moderator:
As mentioned, many of us don't do work for the council or any electricity suppliers. In fact, if my local council called me with some work they needed, I'd probably decline as I'd be dubious about how many months they'd take to pay me. In fact the only time they (or their agent) do call is to try to sell me a dubious paid for inclusion on a council list of contractors, which I also decline. I'm sorry, but it is not a reliable indicator.

Thank you very much for your replay. It is not a big job. It is a small one. It is kinda sad to see that there are no electricians under the city council for example. Would have been a nice thing.

Btw. when it comes to say working on Gas etc. one can ring up the gas providers. For example British Gas and they send someone over. Is there such a thing for electric providers? Is there an electricity provicer who also have repairmen for small repair jobs etc?

British Gas are the last people you want working on your house!

Unfortunately there is no sure fire way to guarantee the quality of a tradesman. However getting recommendations and getting more than one quote is a big help.

Get on Facebook find your local community page and ask who has used a local electrician, you will get a raft of local electricians offering their services, look for the posts where people are recommending someone rather than offering a service. The check competent persons register etc. And do not use British Gas!:)

continuous is best practice as when wet-pants disconnects the water bond, at least the gas bond is still intact.

Reply to Where and how to find a reliable electrician? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net