Discuss Where is it acceptable to run mini trunking? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Is it acceptable to run mini trunking as shown in the pic? To my mind it would be safer (and slightly less ugly) to have a drop from each socket and then run it along the top of the skirting. I would be concerned about the trunking coming loose and being more likely to suffer mechanical damage/force that would put a strain on the connections at either end. Do any regs prevent the way this has been installed?

Many thanks!

I agree it may look better along skirting, although the trunking has been installed correctly within a save or prescribed zone, horizontally between accessories. I may be wrong but this probably applies more to the cable being buried in the wall.
See link.
Cables Concealed in Walls or Partitions: The Case for Additional Protection by Residual Current Devices - https://professional-electrician.com/technical/cables-concealed-walls-partitions-additional-protection-residual-current-devices/
You're right. It's irrelevant, as safe zones only apply to cables buried in the wall at a depth of less than 50mm.

There is nothing wrong electrically with the trunking as it is, as long as it is securely fixed to the wall. It would have been more aesthetically pleasing had it been run on top of the skirting.

There are no regs regarding it. Nothing looks more amateur than mini trunking
It has its uses. Not everyone can afford the chasing out, replastering etc to do it.

What I will say about this picture is, if it’s sticky backed trunking, it’s likely to take the paint off.
If it’s been screwed to the wall, then it has been screwed into what should be a safe zone and may have buried cables under the surface.

Is it acceptable to run mini trunking as shown in the pic? To my mind it would be safer (and slightly less ugly) to have a drop from each socket and then run it along the top of the skirting. I would be concerned about the trunking coming loose and being more likely to suffer mechanical damage/force that would put a strain on the connections at either end. Do any regs prevent the way this has been installed?

Many thanks!

View attachment 103952
Best place to run mini trunking is in someone else's house.

Mothers pride
i'd have chased it down behind skirting, under floor and up at the other ened if i could find it, personally we prefer Roberts bread. thick for sarnies and mega thick for toast. extra mature cheddar as a savoury, honey from the local farm as a sweet treat. aleays assuming belly not full after a 20oz. sirloin with chips, mushrooms, Heinz beans, eggs, and Sugbury's ice cream.

recently spent a month in the local vets hospital. lost 35 lb (15 kilos) of useless retained fluid and fat. ( no they didn't cut my head off). . but retainrd my sense of humour. went in in a wheelchair and came out walking. now I,m back for those of you who haven't missed me so expect some genuine scouse homour. back doing a few light jobs next week. get into the rut groove again. only 75. 4 more years state pension will have paid me back all the tax I've spent on beer and smokes over the last 59 years.

Reply to Where is it acceptable to run mini trunking? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net