Discuss Where to start.. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

uk1403

-
Reaction score
Hi, I recently decided on a career move and am looking for any sound advice on getting the correct accreditation for becoming a qualified electrician domestic & commercial. I have no experience whatsoever and am thinking that i will be self-employed as I have Have owned various businesses in the past. I have good contacts in the property business and this could be advantageous. I’m really stuck on where to start. I’ve looked at different trainers access, logic etc..’is this really where I should start out? They seem really helpful and adamant this is where I should start. However I’ve read on some forums that I can get fully qualified through college nvq courses? Both are really expensive. Feel like I could be wasting time and money if I pick incorrectly. Really would appreciate any advice. I’m from Berkshire area so any suggestions on colleges training centres in proximity would really help.

2 schools of thought; condensed courses offer a wick turnaround allowing you to get out there quicker and get more experience whereas college will be 2 years to get to level 3, then you're looking at AM2/NQV3.

The advantage college has s that it takes longer, meaning you have of chance to get experience in, even if it's just as a mate to start.

Unless you choose a route that would give you experience and a full understanding of your subject, then starting from a point of zero knowledge and experience with a view to working for yourself would be a fruitless folly.

If you have no experience whatsoever, why do you think this career move is right for you? What is the attraction? You mention you have owned various businesses in the past - what has happened to them? Have you sold them as ongoing concerns? What sector were these businesses in?

If you have no experience whatsoever, why do you think this career move is right for you? What is the attraction? You mention you have owned various businesses in the past - what has happened to them? Have you sold them as ongoing concerns? What sector were these businesses in?
Hi, my previous businesses were convenience stores, unfortunately I had to sell them to fund legal costs for my defence in crown court. I had an altercation on a night out 1 evening 7 yrs ago and ended up doing a 5 for sec 18. Whilst I was away I did a plumbing course and really enjoyed it. I did some research and spark's seem to be earning more than other tradesman, so I thought Id throw myself into it. I m just looking to for a secure career path, stability for family, options are really limited employability wise. Can you advise on the Landlord safety cert, what do they get charged at? the course provider was telling me theres good money in it

Don’t listen to the course provider.

Landlord safety certs or EICR electrical installation condition reports are not straight forward.
You need a lot of experience in the trade before you are competent to do them.

There are idiots out there doing them for £60 a time. I charge £150-£250 in domestic. The place is saturated with short course testers who haven’t a clue driving the price down.

Just completing the course isn’t enough.

Inexperience can cause owners to get work done that doesn’t need to be done and the opposite is true. You may not pick up on something that is potentially dangerous.

Get it wrong either way can be costly to the owner and you. There is an enormous amount of responsibility in doing them.

Having said that, I would definitely recommend the career. I love it.

Start with C&G level 2 and 3 electrical technology
18th edition
Test inspect course
Installation condition report course

Maybe the domestic installer course but only after completing the level 2 &3 C&G

More important than the qualifications is once you’ve got your level 2 C&G get in with a spark to learn the trade . Offer your services for free. Without on tools experience with a spark you will not progress and you can not get registered.

Expect at least 4- 5 years training. But it is worth it.

Good luck.

Plumbers round here charge £250 per day some as much as £350 per day , gas safe and that’s £450 per day.
What makes you think electrics will pay more ?

If you already have a plumbing qualification and some experience then I would stick to plumbing , fitting bathrooms etc

There are collages which are free took me two years of paying at night school whilst completing CG2365 level 2 , before I found a free collage ( or £10 a year) to completed CG 2365 level 3. Some people do the quick course. I still not qualified, but not too long now, I have needed the 3 years training and the volunteering with local sparks to improve my knowladge. Good luck, I love the job. (I am no spring chicken , wish I had started this when much younger).
Also completed the 18th and PAT , It all takes time and money, and a commitment.

Really?!?!
Have a bit of self respect. Money isn't everything.
i don't know. a good plumber who doesn't cut/burn cables, does not use your pre-drilled holes for his plastic pipes, does not fit a radiator in front of the socket you've just fitted, and does not test for a leak by spraying water on tour MFT, is hard to find.

I've corrected this for you, Tel :D
oxymoron
/ˌɒksɪˈmɔːrɒn/

noun

1. a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction (e.g. "a good plumber who doesn't cut/burn cables, does not use your pre-drilled holes for his plastic pipes, does not fit a radiator in front of the socket you've just fitted, and does not test for a leak by spraying water on your MFT"

Can you advise on the Landlord safety cert, what do they get charged at? the course provider was telling me theres good money in it
There can be good money in it, if you have a landlord willing to pay for an honest and in depth report not just a piece of paper saying satisfactory. There are too many people running around doing them for under £100 and then hoping to get more work putting things right.
Also bear in mind there is likely to be another registration scheme in the next few years for these inspections so qualifications will be checked and may have other criteria to be allowed to do them. also likely a further cost. so may weed out a few cow boys.
I spent nearly a thousand pounds doing the 2391-52 its not an easy course if you have no experience or understanding of the regs/subject. this should be the very minimum before you consider doing them unless you have many years of experience.

Reply to Where to start.. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock